Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:10:28 PM EDT
I barreled up a Polish PMKMS AKM and had a hell of a time installing the barrel pin. Afterwards I noticed what looks like the barrel is not dead straight into the receiver. If the receiver is the center plane, the the barrel drifts off the left side looking forward to the front sight. Its not terribly obvious but I see it and verified by measuring and its off by 3mm just behind the front sight.

Did I bend the damn thing installing the barrel pin? Anyone have this happen? Anyone know how to fix it?

Any help is apprecated.

-Vulcan762
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen that happen before to someone at a build party.  It sounds like the trunion is not in line with the receiver.  The possible problem here is the alignment of the gas piston to the gas tube.  Drop the carrier in and see if there is enough play in the gas piston for the carrier to move normally.  If not, you need to take it apart, and do a little reworking.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like the trunion is not in line with the receiver.

I've seen that before too. I could be cocked off square when the trunion was installed. Or when you installed the pin, you didn't support the trunion well enough and tweeked the receiver a bit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, Im thinking that this is a result of installing the pin. If I did in fact tweak the receiver, what are the odds I can salvage the build? Do I ditch the receiver and get a new one or do I need to replace the barrel? Im worride that the barrel is bent.

Hell..I dunno. Im just really pissed about the whole thing.

Quoted:
It sounds like the trunion is not in line with the receiver.

I've seen that before too. I could be cocked off square when the trunion was installed. Or when you installed the pin, you didn't support the trunion well enough and tweeked the receiver a bit.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a square and check the receiver.  This should tell you pretty quick if it is the problem.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You can save it. It's just a piece of sheetmetal after all. Just do some thinkin'.  You got nothing to lose other than time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the same problem, but mine is off just a bit to the right. It is the whole barrel, the front and rear sights line up just fine, it just leans to the right.

Looking down at the rear sight from the top, it is tight against the trunion guide rail (I don't know what else to call it) on the right, but there is a small gap on the left, that small gap turns into a 3/32s - 1/8  cant at the top. I know it doesn't sound like much but it is very visable when looking down it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#7]
i have the same problem . i have not pinned it yet though.  is it possible to turn the barrel while inside the trunnion??? i mean it ain't gonna take much!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two that did that. They seem to shift a bit and push up against one ear or of the trunnion or the other. It doesn't effect the aim as they're both dead on but it drives me freakin' nuts when I look at it too much. I don't think anyone else would even notice it if you didn't tell them. That's the thing about building, you know everything bout it so the minor imperfections stand out like the Great Wall of China.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top