Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/13/2005 8:21:23 PM EDT
OK I am in the dark but noticed about the ATF letter tonight. What do I do...where do I go. I am not a big AK fan but was thinking of building a pistol and a rifle for the collection.

Who has kits and any suggestions so that I don't get bent over without "KY" and I am not taking about the state! Normally I read for a couple of weeks and then take a move but I am guessing I don't have the time and need to order a couple of kits first thing Monday.

I am going to a show later today (Sunday) but I never see kits for sale at the local shows. Just the various AK's built.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
go to equipment exchange and get either a polish tantal or pmkms.  Those seem to be the best kits available at a good price right now.  Prices are between 200-270 depending on their grade.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Get one of the Romanian kits from Scott at DPH Arms.  EE thread
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I had checked out Scott's web page and it appears that although he is a great dealer and may have some he is not releasing prices yet and is in a holding pattern. THe thread appears to ahve started before the letter came out and I was reading it as time went on and it's interesting to see how everything went from good to slow to worse as the demand went up. Hopefully he will have prices soon and they will be reasonable.

I also hope that we have someone come up to bat and start producing barrels stateside.

The next thing I got to look into and think about is that HK clone I was wanting...Looks like when that gun show opens up toady I will be doing a lot of dealing. Ya' know... I think the BATF and the gun shows are working together, every time they do something like this shows get more popular and gun sales skyrocket! If these Washington Democrats only knew what they were doing... they would probably just leave us alone. Naw... they don't care they are increasing the sales and importation they just want to pass another freaking law and tell "the sheep" how much good they are doing for "the people"!

Rich
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone dealt with J&G Sales or Military Gun Supply? I do wish to deal with DPH but I also do not want to wait very long to get at least SOMETHING. J&G appears to be selling some kits but I have never dealt with them before.
Rich
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Has anyone dealt with J&G Sales or Military Gun Supply? I do wish to deal with DPH but I also do not want to wait very long to get at least SOMETHING. J&G appears to be selling some kits but I have never dealt with them before.
Rich

I'd just get it from DPH...your wait will be worth it..m 80' Rommie kit arrived thursday and it's in great shape, it's an A grade kit BTW.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the kits available from www.gunthings.com. These guys are very reputable. I received a very nice example of a Polish underfolder kit from them last week.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Check out the kits available from www.gunthings.com. These guys are very reputable. I received a very nice example of a Polish underfolder kit from them last week.

A huge +1 for the guys at GunThings.  I was ballz busy and couldn't talk during the day and the owner called me back in the evening.  I ordered a Bulgy 74 kit and the kit is extremely nice.  

I also ordered a Romanian kit from Copes Distributing for my business partner.  For $125 (includes Tapco fire control parts) the kit will make a nice gun.

We are using finished receivers from Global Trades.  If you need someone reputable to do the assembly, jayson at IGF does great work.  Or find a buddy with all the tools/knowledge like we did.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw a Polish kit at Gun Things for the mid $200's but nothing else and a Romanian kit at Copes as mentioned. The part that wow's me is that the various versions vary so much in price from place to place. I am not sure if it's the model, the age of the ad (pre ATF or Post ?) or just a few trying to lowball and a few trying to get each last red cent (no pun intended!) on the last remaining kits. Military supply in TX is advertising a Krink version  kit for $400+. I guess a Krink Pistol would be OK if the receiver is noted on the 4473 as a Handgun but unless I buy a $200 tax stamp (and incorporate first) that $400 kit would need to be a SBR for me!

Looks like I may need to settle on a Romy... I'll try to contact Scott Monday and see what the story is but like I said I would like to get moving on at least 1-2 kits while I can instead of waiting for a maybe in the future and end up with nothing.

Then the other angle is if someone does end up making stateside barrels all the ATF Mumbo Jumbo will end up moot point. It will be just like the JRD PTC line of HK91's. As long as you don't mind American made you can still enjoy your AK and shoot it too! Since Barrels are the limited comodity the kits would need to go down in price since we would be buying our own barrels and not needing very much except for the sights, furniture and some assorted stuff.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top