Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 3:36:13 PM EDT
Scroll down a ways - "AK Laser Cut Fold By Hand Flat and Rails $34.99"

I see this is lacking a few things such as hole placements in the rear of the 80% receiver for the stock.

I have a drill press so I'm not all too concerned about that, however, are the dimples (for lack of a better term...bare with me, please) around the mag well crucial to the rifles function?  OK that said, if it does STILL require a press (even though it's claimed to be handfoldable) anybody have any ideas for a guy lacking a shop press?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

-Rob

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
the dimples are not needed with the newer lower rails, they help support the mag. and i would bet the left the rear trunnion holes out so it could be used with any rear trunnion ie side folder, with out having to weld the holes up
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah thats what the proprietor of that business said (about the holes anyway)

Ok good. This is exciting, I can't wait to start building it.

Thanks for your input.

-Rob
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I may be mistaken, but I believe these need to be welded after folding.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Not only do they require a very experienced mig welder to complete, which is technically illegal to have done by another party, you will still end up with a receiver that is much thicker than the standard 1mm.
Which will require much more work.

Pass
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not only do they require a very experienced mig welder to complete, which is technically illegal to have done by another party, you will still end up with a receiver that is much thicker than the standard 1mm.
Which will require much more work.

Pass

As long as the welding is done under your direct supervision everything would be OK IIRC.  You can't hand over your parts to the welder, run to the bank/grocery store/DMV & come back later & pick up the welded receiver.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

As long as the welding is done under your direct supervision everything would be OK IIRC.  You can't hand over your parts to the welder, run to the bank/grocery store/DMV & come back later & pick up the welded receiver.  

Could you please supply a link to your reference regarding this?
Everything I have ever seen in print states that you must do all the work yourself.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I buid one of these Fold by Hand Receivers for my first build. Never used a mig welder before and everything turned out ok. I recomend you practice on some simular stock before doing the real thing. Dont get disheartend. I'f i can do it. Anyone can. Wasnt the nicest  thing i had ever done , but it functioned perfectly. Good luck man, post pics when your done

As i said this was my first build UGLY as a mofo. Worked good though. I May clean it up someday and finish it. Maybe i wont
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you please supply a link to your reference regarding this?
Everything I have ever seen in print states that you must do all the work yourself.
Thanks.

Can't recall the link right offhand......I'll have to dig thru my bookmarks.
The "80%" laser cut flat already has the fire control holes drilled to size/mag well cut/etc, as soon as you bend it into shape it becomes a gun because it's past the ATF magic number for a "non firearm" paperweight & becomes a receiver.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Can't recall the link right offhand......I'll have to dig thru my bookmarks.
The "80%" laser cut flat already has the fire control holes drilled to size/mag well cut/etc, as soon as you bend it into shape it becomes a gun because it's past the ATF magic number for a "non firearm" paperweight & becomes a receiver.  

Yes, you are correct, once bent it becomes a receiver.
The whole 80% thing is just slang, we builders use.
The ATF makes no reference to percentages of completion, it's either a receiver or it's not.

But I still believe, that to be 100% legal, you must perform ALL the work yourself.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the additional thickness exterior or interior?  
Ie will the trunnion need to be narrowed a RCH or two like for the Global Trades 1.6mm receiver?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#12]
It may be considered a receiver, but it would not yet be a rifle.

From what I've been able to find, a homebuilt firearm, not just the receiver, must be entirely built by you.
I realize this is a gray area, and probably a moot point, but I believe, that is the law.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top