Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 8:17:55 PM EDT
I have a question. Is there some written regulation that the US parts mfgd for AK47's have to be stamped US?  What if I mfg my own parts, ie gas piston, muzzlebrake, etc. on my own lathe/mill? Is there something that says it has to be stamped?  If not who can tell the difference between my "mfgd" parts and imported ones.
Inquiring minds want to know!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Which is why the US parts issue is not enforceable.

If you have access to a machine shop that could produce identical parts to the imported ones, there is no way to detemine what was made where.  Materials of construction cannot be used as there is no restriction on using imported metals.  Cast parts might be a problem as I don't know of many available machine shops that have casting facilities.  Everything else is fair game.

Anyone here have a woodshop in their garage?  That makes prosecution on the wood parts impossible.

Oh, there is no requirement for a part made in the US to be marked as such.  Here's the neat part of this .  If a imported part was modified to where it no longer useable for it's original function and then returned to useable condition; it is now a US part.  For example, a cut receiver that is reconstructed is a US part.  So, if a imported part that is marked as such is reconstructed; it is now a US part that has imported markings.

The first case the BATF prosecutes on 922r will get thrown out of court which is more than likely the reason there has not been any cases brought on 922r.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Kinda what I thought.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto.

Not to mention than 99.99% of all LEO's in the country don't know anything about 922r.
Probably will only be 'enforced' on large scale manufacturers, not joe homebuilder with a few AK's in a safe in Anytown USA.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ditto.

Not to mention than 99.99% of all LEO's in the country don't know anything about 922r.
Probably will only be 'enforced' on large scale manufacturers, not joe homebuilder with a few AK's in a safe in Anytown USA.

But what if joe wants to sell his gun??
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
There is actually no federal regulation that specifically requires U.S. parts to be included on a rifle subject to 922r.
The federal regulation requires that such a rifle include no more than ten imported parts, from the master list of countable parts that apply to that particular type of rifle.
U.S. parts, as a practical manner, are included in an AK type rifle to reduce the number of imported countable parts and to allow the rifle to function.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ditto.

But what if joe wants to sell his gun??

You might wind up with a PISSED off customer if you sell them a rifle without any parts. I know that I personally would be pissed but like many have mentioned most people dont even know what 922r is. I always make sure to ask though before I buy any gun.
ETA There was a long thread on gunco where conley sold some rifles minus the US parts and the buyer turned the gun into the ATF. I dont know what the out come was.

ETA. Compliance parts are cheap I can hook you up with a trigger group for $26.99 & a pistol grip for $8.99 + $3.85 shipping. Or you could do a piston instead of a pistol grip for $17.99. Once you add your US receiver you would be set. I also have some USA followers to add soon for $2.25 along with the standard pistol grips that are not yet listed. Check out my sale section for some great prices and updates. www.MidwestArmory.com
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My only point was that there is no requirements for markings and you can't tell the differences by looking at them, so if someone told you they were US parts you would never know the difference by looking at them, right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My only point was that there is no requirements for markings and you can't tell the differences by looking at them, so if someone told you they were US parts you would never know the difference by looking at them, right?

Yep pretty much. However many of the US parts on the market are pretty easy to identify. You could probably get by with it with a few parts like pistons, and maybe some furniture but most items such as FCG are very easy to tell apart. Also only a few furniture item would pass. I think if you had a synthetic bulgarian stock and tried to explain that you made it you would be out of luck. However if you had a wood pistol grip and told them that you made it it would probably fly. Nearly all the US parts I have came buy are clearly marked USA. There are still lots of items such as muzzle breaks, mags and even some pistons that are not marked but a lot of them are easy to tell apart. But as you have mentioned there are plenty that look identical to the originals. For example Century pistons look very much like originals. Most of the slant breaks are not marked and look like originals. Im sure you could get by with it but Im not exactly a expert.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep pretty much. However many of the US parts on the market are pretty easy to identify. You could probably get by with it with a few parts like pistons, and maybe some furniture but most items such as FCG are very easy to tell apart. Also only a few furniture item would pass. I think if you had a synthetic bulgarian stock and tried to explain that you made it you would be out of luck. However if you had a wood pistol grip and told them that you made it it would probably fly. Nearly all the US parts I have came buy are clearly marked USA. There are still lots of items such as muzzle breaks, mags and even some pistons that are not marked but a lot of them are easy to tell apart. But as you have mentioned there are plenty that look identical to the originals. For example Century pistons look very much like originals. Most of the slant breaks are not marked and look like originals. Im sure you could get by with it but Im not exactly a expert.

Yeah that was what I was talking about. Gas pistons and muzzle brakes would be nothing to turn on a lathe. Would not have to worry about the stocks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Are the furniture pieces (the stock, grip, and handguards) considered US parts if they are made in the US, or do US parts only mean gun internals?

-mark
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, read the AK ABC forum post on compliance parts, details all of this.

Quoted:
Are the furniture pieces (the stock, grip, and handguards) considered US parts if they are made in the US, or do US parts only mean gun internals?

-mark

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top