Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 11:49:05 AM EDT
How close to "finished" can a paperless reciever be? And who offers it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#1]
80%
try tapco for flats (since im assuming you are building an AK)
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I'm refering to an AK. But what (exactly) does "80%" mean?

Could it be everything but the front trunnion and rear tang holes? Or all the holes drilled, but no cutouts for FCG or mag? Or everything but the bends?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
80% refers to how long it will take to finish
8 hours ?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Flats, even with all the holes are fine, as they will still need to be bent, the top rails bent, the ejector and other rail installed, heat treated and tempered, the trunion holes may also need to be drilled. You can also go with a pre-bent receiver that has no holes, no rails and no heat treating. neither of these items require a FFL. Be sure to check your state rules and regs however. I believe that some states that still have their own AWB and other crazy gun laws, may prohibit you from legally building your own receiver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
80% is a slang term for a receiver that is as close to the point of being finished as possible and still not considered a receiver by the ATF.

The ATF makes no reference to stages of completion, it is either a receiver or it's not.
The flats become a receiver after the first bend is made.
The bent blanks, after the first hole is brought to finished size.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems like the real question has to do with 'registering' or 'papering' a receiver.

You are allowed to bend your own receiver and make semi auto firearms without 'registering' or 'papering' them.  You just can't sell them without 'papering' them and paying the tax.  You also have to do a couple of other things but you get the point.

80% receivers are sold because it takes some of the work out of building a rifle for people like me that don't have a press (yet).  It also avoids the hassle of me going through my FFL.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Seems like the real question has to do with 'registering' or 'papering' a receiver.

You are allowed to bend your own receiver and make semi auto firearms without 'registering' or 'papering' them.  You just can't sell them without 'papering' them and paying the tax.  You also have to do a couple of other things but you get the point.

80% receivers are sold because it takes some of the work out of building a rifle for people like me that don't have a press (yet).  It also avoids the hassle of me going through my FFL.

Wrong.  You do not have to pay any kind of special tax to sell one of your builds that you did with a home made receiver.  You do have to put a serial number on the receiver, (even though my SAR-1 only had the serial number on the trunnion).  But you don't have to pay any kind of tax.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  You do not have to pay any kind of special tax to sell one of your builds that you did with a home made receiver.  You do have to put a serial number on the receiver, (even though my SAR-1 only had the serial number on the trunnion).  But you don't have to pay any kind of tax.

As long as you didn't intend to sell it when you built it
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I think only licensed manufactureres have to pay any kind of tax when building firearms.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered 5 romanian kits. Do I understand this correctly? I can rebuild them into fully functioning semi auto rifles, sratch a serial number on them and thats it? I'm legal? That seems way to cool to be true... Do I need to be a licensed builder?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
That would depend on your intent.  You could not order 5 kits and flats and build them and sell them if your intent was to build to sell, then you would be a manufacturer and would require the appropriate FFL.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just ordered 5 romanian kits. Do I understand this correctly? I can rebuild them into fully functioning semi auto rifles, sratch a serial number on them and thats it? I'm legal? That seems way to cool to be true... Do I need to be a licensed builder?

Don't forget you will still need at least 6 US made parts for each rifle.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top