Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 1:19:22 PM EDT
I figured yall would know more than anyone. Is it possible to make a single stack AK into a Double by milling out the actual entrance in the lower receiver? Do I need to change the bolt or any of the Mechanisms in the gun? Is this leagal.(It should be since the raised the AWB.) Any help would be great.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer, but that modification creates a weapon that could not be imported, therefore you have to replace enough components to classify it as an american-made rifle. There is a list of twenty major assemblies of which the AK has about 15-16, so you end up changing out about 6 of the parts. Most often changed are the following: trigger, hammer, disconnector, pistol grip, muzzle brake, buttstock, gas piston.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it is perfectly legal to do so. The WASR's started coming in with the wide trunion sometime in '03. The older models have the narrow trunion and widening that is a chore. As stated you need to make sure it has at least 5 US parts if you're not using a muzzle attachment. I know some of them even came with US parts even though they were single stacks. You have to widen the mag well on the receiver and cut back the mag supports. Other than that, that's it. I'm planning on doing my own WASR-2 two whenever they arrive.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
just don't oversize the opening!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I do know it is an American assembled Romanian AK. The Shop owner that sold it to me does it for a hobby. I just don't want to bring it to him if I can do it myself. I have a plethora of Metal smithing tools due to my trade. Aviation Structure Mechanic
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am about to do the same. This should help you out: Link
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Whats this talk of changing the gas piston. Is that to make it leagal? Or does that give other benefits? Also is the trunion the front of the Magazine opening? The only reason why this isn't done yet is becuase the gun store is closed and I do not have a double stack magazine
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Changing the gas piston counts as 1 of the required 5  (6 with muzzle attachment) US parts that must be added to be legal. Yes the trunion is what the barrel and receiver is attatched to.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
u guys are always talking about us parts to make it legal im just wondering if any1 has ever had someone count the us parts in there gun considering half the parts dont say where they where made anyway explain to me how your gonna prove they where made in the us and anyone else would prove they wherent
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of them will be marked U.S. I have noticed some not marked though. Good question.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top