Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 9:12:11 PM EDT
I finally got around to drilling out the rivets in the kit.  The rear trunnion on this kit is different than my AK-47.  There is no other side to the rivets.  It's solid between the rivets on either side.  Am I missing something here?  Do I just drill through until it comes out the other side?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you really need to get the rivet heads out of the front trunnion?  Once the shank is drilled, couldn't you just leave the head in there and tap the hole?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it is ok to leave the shank in the original holes. I Just drilled my "screw" holes about 1/8" + away from the rivets. Then tapped 'em and screwed 'em up tight. I have yet to do it; but will add some 2 part epoxy when I am ready to "finalized" my build.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you can just drill all the way through the rear trunnion if you want. Then just tap both sides for the screws and you're good to go.

Alternative: figure out how long you want your screws and just drill to that depth.

Many people just figure that the screws might as well just be as long as possible and touch the screw on the other side. This brings us back to the drill all the way through method again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I drilled my AMD 63 rear trunion last night.  I just went all the way through.  I figured that there was no reason to stop mid way and leave anything in the middle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have drilled all the rivet out on the front trunions so the tap will thread to needed depth and I drill the rear trunion rivets out enough (1/4"+/-)so I can tap to needed depth.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top