Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2003 5:26:31 PM EDT
I previously used latex stain and covered it with urethane and then sprayed Krylon matte finish on it to dull gloss.It dulled gloss just fine but stain bleed thru and got on my hand while shooting.(Mabe cuz latex bleed thru urethane ?)

Anyhoo...I re-stripped furniture and stained with oil-based stain .    Urethane would make it look nice but I want a dull finish. any help from the guru's ?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Campy...I'll look for matte...I have Minwax urethane in satin..dude at Home Depot told me that was as dull as I could get. I'll take my time and look til I find matte.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Also another option is boiled lindseed oil.  It's kinda smelly at first, but once it cures you have a good durable finish!

DG
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Boiled Lindseed Oil can go over stain ? (Green stain)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it can.  I refinished some window sills in a house I fixed up one time and after the smell went away it looked beautiful!  I also srtipped the polyurethane off a repro CW musket and re-finished it with lindseed oil and it still has the same finish on it, looking good.  Do a test on a piece of old ply wood.  Stain it the color you want, let dry and paint it with lindseed oil.  You'll like the results!

DG
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top