Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2002 5:21:13 PM EDT
I'm going ahead with this project I've had in my head for some time.  I've messed with Galils for years, very comfy with them, but I'm butt-ignert on pre-ban AK's.

I'm trying to find out which pre-ban receiver would be best for this project.  I need a milled receiver, preferably using a threaded barrel to keep it as close to a Galil design as possible.

The only pre-ban AK with a milled receiver that I've been able to uncover has been the Polytech Legend, and they use pressed barrels.  Are there any pre-ban milled receivers that utilize threaded barrels?

Oh, and anyone know offhand the diameter of AK barrels?  Don't know if the Galil gas block will fit or not....

TIA!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There's some guys in NE Okla that make a milled AK receiver that look good to me.  I saw them at the last big Tulsa gun show.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
EPIPHANY!!!!

Thanks, Campy, right in front of my eyes and didn't see...

A Valmet preban would probably be a better choice.  

Now I gotta go hunting.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, it seems that my only Valmet option would be a Model 62, and as there were apparently only around 800 imported...aside from the cost, it would be a shame to strip down a rifle this rare just to get the receiver.

Looks like I'm back to trying to find a Polytech Legend...
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to do, but if I read your notes right, you want to build a preban version of the Galil in 7.52x39 caliber.  So why not just buy a preban Galil, and have it rebarrelled to 7.62x39? Other than having a 'smith build you a 7.62 barrel, which could be cut to the exact Galil dimensions, all you'd need would be an AK bolt assembly, and installation of the flash suppressor for the 7.62x51 model Galil.  Seems like this would be a hell of a lot less expensive than altering a Poly Tech Legend reciever, which would take extensive machine work; not just threading the barrel hole, but reshaping the bottom of the front end, and redoing the whole rear end for the Galil stock assy.

But maybe I'm not reading what you intend to do correctly.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm with you, shamayim.  I was wondering what all this receiver talk was about.

You could even  do it on a 223 Galil and not have to mess up one of the few 308s.  Using ARM mags, I would think that you would need to alter the feed lips to get it to feed reliably.

Quoted:
So why not just buy a preban Galil, and have it rebarrelled to 7.62x39? Other than having a 'smith build you a 7.62 barrel, which could be cut to the exact Galil dimensions, all you'd need would be an AK bolt assembly, and installation of the flash suppressor for the 7.62x51 model Galil.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:51:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Bernie's for your preban Galil.
www.bernies-sports.com/

I was there last monday - someone has 2 on consignment. 1 all black in 7.62 the other w/the
lighter wood grips in 5.56
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top