Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/22/2022 10:03:32 AM EDT
I was wondering if there were any tools, or improvised tools for magazine catch rivets.

Just wondering whats out there for a better looking rivet flare/factory look.

I already purchased the robert forbus flaring punches for the gas tube lever/hg retainer.

I used roll pin punches, a combination of a ball bearing/flat punches for flaring the rivers

A vise, etc.

Just wondering if anyone makes a tool similar to an AK sight tool, but a bit bigger to work for the trigger guard rivets.

I wouldnt mind the DIY approach.

My thoughts/Idea

Basically I would enlarge a ak sight tool, and modify the screw part to better flare out a rivet

As for the hole these have for the sight drum. I would just cover it with a coin that was ground flat (to remove any markings)

The coin would act as a non marring anvil while the screw flares out the rivet.

For those being sticklers about defacing US currency it could be a Chucky Cheese token lmao.

What are you guys using? I just want to be able to install this while making it look half decent.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
On this page you can see what the East German armorers used:

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/review-east-german-ak-armorer-tools/

I use two ball bearings in a vise most of the time. But I'm thinking of making a tool kind of like how you described, but purpose built.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
On this page you can see what the East German armorers used:

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/review-east-german-ak-armorer-tools/

I use two ball bearings in a vise most of the time. But I'm thinking of making a tool kind of like how you described, but purpose built.
View Quote

Thanks

https://products.mckay-ent.com/mckay-parts/mckay-parts-5680/magazine-catch-axle-support-base-bottom-top-flaring-punch-3404465

Unavail sadly
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#3]
One other idea on my mind.

A threaded jig of sorts that uses socket/cone head bolt/screws

Edit: I forgot I had one of these:

Attachment Attached File

Mcmaster sells cone point screws that I could use to replace the bottom clamping screws of this sight pusher. (The bottom plate is removable)

This would give me a multi purpose tool for stuff. Ill do a mock up when I get home.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to use a punch that I rounded the end off on. Worked just fine.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top