Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/21/2013 10:29:22 AM EDT
Has anyone used this tool for AK-74?  What thread did you use?  I'm thinking of using 10-24 for this 74 build I'm doing but wanted to research it a little before I built the press.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The only time I have seen it used on a 74 the builder had to use two threaded rods one down both sides of the gun.
But I have used it on 7.62 guns with great success. I like it because it gives me more control over the pressure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 12 ton press and the AK-builder tooling for barrel pressing but I like the althread press better since I have some much more control.  Hopefully the one I'm building will work with 10-24 threads on the 74.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a nut & bolt distributor in your area, you could ask if they have a grade 8 10-24 threaded rod. It will be a lot stronger than the galvanised rod.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a nut & bolt distributor in your area, you could ask if they have a grade 8 10-24 threaded rod. It will be a lot stronger than the galvanised rod.
Good Luck!
View Quote

Yeah after building another tool I looked around for grade 8 10-24, but my local distributor says its not something he can get.  He said the next best thing is 316 stainless so I'm trying that.  We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I just found that place that has a different type of all thread barrel press, you could try to make one like this or just buy this one.

http://www.tothtool.com/AK-Barrel-Removal-Install-Tool-_p_61.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Tothtools.  they are definitely more pricey then just using a allthread rod, but man are they nice.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top