Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:52:08 PM EDT
hey i have a quick question...What TAP and DYES do you need for the screw build on a Ak reciever/build...
or do you have any other suggestions or input, maybe even a do it urself website that shows how...thanks alot!
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
where are you located? close to NNJ? if so come to my house and youll learn why riveting is sooooooo much better. i used to think screw builds would be better, but apparently hardened steel and rivet removal wiht the purpose of only tapping is a PITA. was told by someone else who did it that way then did a build wiht me and will never go back. the taps will get destroyed on the hardened steel of ak parts. using a shop with some basic tools will make this alot easier.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
none likes the screwed receiver...hmmm
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]
On the screw builds I have done, I used 10/32 taps and stainless screws.  As the other poster said, go slow and use tapping solution (lube) because there is nothing that will make you want to pull your hair out more than a busted tap in a rivet hole.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The "secret" to successfully using a tap is to turn it no more than 1/4 turn and then back it out at least that far so the metal you've removed comes off and ends up in the flute. Use plenty of oil.
And don't even think of using a hand drill to drill out the rivets. If the holes aren't perpendiculat to the trunnion the screws won't tighten properly.
Use the stop on the drill press so you don't drill into the barrel!

In other words, screw builds are more difficult than rivet builds, especially if someone with the proper tools has offered to help.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys....its just me and my friend are thinkin of doing it incase the feds show up when there is a ban on all firearms owned in the US..
then we can just dig a whole, un-screw them and bury them...
especially with these new "changes" in our political system.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, don't do a screw buld just for the convenience of hiding the gun if they come to get it...  If you are just going to hide it when they come for you, why are you building it anyway?  Besides, you will want those screws set in there permanently once the gun is ready to fire.  They WILL walk out on you if you fire it without putting JB weld or Loc-tite at minimum in there.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have done one and would recomend to rivits if at all possible. i have done 1 screw and 3 rivit builds. you will have to bottom tap the holes in the front trunion, I actually drilled in to the barrel chamber a little bit to get a little more depth. and the trunions are a little hard. you will need more than 1 tap likley. and the screws WILL back out if not lock tited with red loc tite. I used low head cap screws to look better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
if you can do North jersey let me know, got all it takes to do a rivet build. much easier and better. done in a day. need a kit, flat-rec, rivets.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top