Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:21:16 AM EDT
I have zero experience with wood-working or putting finishes on wood. My furniture from Ironwood will be arriving next week, need a little input on putting a pretty finish on it.

The ironwood site says to sand, apply alcohol, raise grain, sand, etc. Then to apply the oil finish. So oil goes in before adding the dye itself. Wouldn't the oil repel the dye?

And how does one choose the right dye? Am I just gonna go up to home depot and pick one out that looks like the color I'm shooting for? This is what I want to be close to with color:

I want an original ak look, so no plastic here. I have laminate wood on the way, and it's for an SSR.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The stain or dye goes on BEFORE ANY finish.
After a coat of finish, the stain will not work.

For stains, there are MANY choices, ranging from RIT fabric dye to leather dye, to commercial wood stains.
A lot of people have had very good results with Minwax "Sedona Red" stain.
It gives that nice "Russian Red" color.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Stain 1st, then finish. I did the wood on my AES-10B with no stain, just the natural color of the plywood. i used tung oil, which is super simple to apply, no brush, just rub on by hand and wipe off after 15 minutes. Rinse, lather, repeat, until the wood quits absorbing oil. BSW

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You could always send it out to Z-recto to finish it.

Closet look to original commie wood
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
So that was just bare plywood and then the tung oil brought out that finish? Because that looks pretty good actually. Very ak'ish looking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So that was just bare plywood and then the tung oil brought out that finish? Because that looks pretty good actually. Very ak'ish looking.

Yep, all I did was clean the wood with dishwasher soap and let it dry. Rubbed down with coarse steel wool to start then I applied about 3 coats of tung oil, letting it dry and rubbing it down with steel wool between each coat . No stain, just the natural color of the wood.

BSW
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top