Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2020 1:04:44 AM EDT
I just googled this and couldn't find anything recent, at least in the last year.  I've been using Hoppe's and it works OK, but it smells up the house/garbage/garage, etc, and lingers for too long.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Bore Tech Eliminator works pretty well with minimal odor.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Mpro7 has very little smell
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait, what? hoppes smells?
Best smell ever
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:55:48 AM EDT
[#5]
https://vzgrips.com/platforms/accessories/gun-lube-and-cleaning-supplies/

I hear the Breakthrough brand stuff is probably the best as far as user friendly
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
What? I thought it doubled as an after shave?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
slip 2000
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the smell of Hoppe's & even the smell of Ballistol is starting to grow on me.  I don't know of any cleaning solvent that doesn't smell, they just smell different from one to another.  

This stuff has an almost citrus smell to it & works real good on carbon especially.  I bought the bigger 1L bottles & keep it in a mason jar & just put my whole BCG in there for a little bit & they come out very clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Slip-2000-Carbon-Killer-15-Ounce/dp/B005AXSS0Q

https://www.amazon.com/Slip2000-Carbon-Killer-Container-32-Ounce/dp/B00KHV4VN4
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner.  No smell at all.  I still use reg Hoppe's for hard to get out lead fouling.
I switched to this because the wife complained when I cleaned my pistols.  Give it a try I find it at Walmart mostly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner.  No smell at all.  I still use reg Hoppe's for hard to get out lead fouling.
I switched to this because the wife complained when I cleaned my pistols.  Give it a try I find it at Walmart mostly.
View Quote

If it's their Bore foam, watch out. I saw a guy post on You Tube that that made his guns rust.
I dumped all of mine and went back to their plain old Hoppes #9
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#12]
No not bore foam. Just a small pump spray bottle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
No smell and it works great.  Cuts grease and carbon very well.  It can also be used for black powder cleanup.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree with all of this, and I also use MPro7. Coincidentally Simple Green works just about exactly the same though. Do with that information whatever you will.
View Quote

Simple Green and Al do not mix well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Murphy’s oil Soap concentrate and denatured Alcohol Mix Ratio 1:3. Make sure it’s concentrate and denatured
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#19]
KG carbon remover. Smells like windex.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’m sure you have citation for this, so I’ll keep watching, but fortunately in the meantime I don’t have any firearms with aluminum barrels or bolt carriers, or really bare aluminum of any type.
View Quote

lost all your AR in a boating accident?

purple simple green is safe the green stuff will eat al, 3 mins on google will find the info.

I used to the USAF report banning its use on aircraft, but the cpu is long gone.

"I
t has been brought to the attention of the
AMCOM Depot Maintenance Engineering
Team that numerous units are using the
commercial product SIMPLE GREEN as an
aircraft wash. STOP! This product has been
through DoD testing and was determined to
be highly corrosive on aircraft aluminum. It
can also be a catalyst for hydrogen
embrittlement in high strength aircraft
alloys.
While it is a highly effective cleaning
agent for floors and non-aluminum/non-high
strength alloy vehicles, this product is not
approved for aviation usage.
If your unit has been using SIMPLE
GREEN on a regular basis, it is
recommended that a thorough fresh-water
wash with the approved cleaners per the
appropriate airframe maintenance manuals
be accomplished as soon as practicable.
This should be followed up with a corrosion
inspection/treatment and application of
approved CPCs.
Insure that no unauthorized cleaning
products are being used on your aircraft or
in the shops as a component cleaner."

https://safety.army.mil/Portals/0/Documents/ON-DUTY/AVIATION/FLIGHTFAX/Standard/Combined_Year/2000_Flightfax_Combined.pdf
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Interesting info, thank you for rounding that up.
The bottle and the MSDS warn against use on bare untreated wood, suede leather, pearls and opals, not a word mentioned about high strength alloy aircraft. I guess they figure the average buyer at Walmart doesn’t have an F-18 in the garage. Lol.

Any idea what’s different in the purple formula that makes it ok?
View Quote

off the top of my head no clue, I know it is Aviation safe.

A few years ago a member dropped some AN fittings into the Green SG for a test, it was in this section, do not recall if he ever posted updates.

I know you can find results of a mil test where they listed the reduction in mass after soaking over X amount of time.

long as your anodizing is sound and flushing well odds are low on damage. Every AR that is used is missing anodizing from the cam pin strike.

Mpro 7 or hoppes elite (same stuff different bottle) was my go to for vapor free cleaning, for parts like the BC group Dawn and hot water work wonders for the cost.

here a member say it is due to the Ph level in SG, but Mpro has a higher Ph level
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/7-373734/
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Froglube, cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#24]
As already suggested, Mpro7.

I love their LPx oil as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Eds Red
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Try using Simple Green Pro Hd available at Home Depot as it does not harm aluminum and can be used on weapons and has a lavender color , I use it in a small parts washer and it works good on bolts and other parts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No smell and it works great.  Cuts grease and carbon very well.  It can also be used for black powder cleanup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, mpro7 smells like a watered down Windex to me. Also Rand bore and bolt is low odor. However if you are looking for a solvent to get the copper out of barrels, you need something stronger that smells to get that job done.

For general carbon removal of components, mpro7 gun cleaner or the rand bore and bolt will work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This, mpro7 smells like a watered down Windex to me. Also Rand bore and bolt is low odor. However if you are looking for a solvent to get the copper out of barrels, you need something stronger that smells to get that job done.

For general carbon removal of components, mpro7 gun cleaner or the rand bore and bolt will work just fine.
View Quote

I have copper stripper for copper removal(Shooters choice?)

I tried the Mpro7.  No smell.  Nice work folks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Bore Tech
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Occasionally I remember I have "bore cleaner, rifle", and use that. I guess it smells a little? Not as much as I remember Hoppe's (only used it once).

Usually for cleaning an AR or most any other modern gun, I just use CLP or motor oil for everything. Works well enough.

I use ballistol on the pretty blue/wood guns in hopes of not screwing up the wood finish. Also use it on blackpowder in addition to the Thompson T17 pre-soakes patches. No using water or other ridiculous cleaning methods for smoke-poles.

Slightly off topic. How in the hell did those in the age of blackpowder manage to get by with nothing when in this day we still have clowns taking their smoke poles into the bath tub? You think Lewis and Clark were running a bath to clean their guns? Pick your faction of soldier since, what, 1600? I call BS. They must have had some relatively quick and easy method to dissolve BP fouling in the field to at least keep their pieces from rusting to shit. Maybe it has been lost to time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
shooters lube.
https://www.shooterlube.com
View Quote

I just bought those last week!   And when they get weak, it's easy to refresh and recharge 'em.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Slightly off topic. How in the hell did those in the age of blackpowder manage to get by with nothing when in this day we still have clowns taking their smoke poles into the bath tub? You think Lewis and Clark were running a bath to clean their guns? Pick your faction of soldier since, what, 1600? I call BS. They must have had some relatively quick and easy method to dissolve BP fouling in the field to at least keep their pieces from rusting to shit. Maybe it has been lost to time.
View Quote

My understanding is water was what was used. Which if you think about it makes more since as you don’t have to carry extra stuff your already carrying the water.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#33]
If you can smell it, that means it's getting into your bloodstream. Something to keep in mind no matter what kind of work you're doing. Of course, a chemical may lack all odor and still get into your bloodstream.

I cannot stand the smell of Ballistol. I've also stored Ballistol in transparent containers, and noticed that a semi-solid separates from the more fluid component of Ballistol after a period of time.

I assume you want a solvent that attacks copper. Like others, I use Bore Tech Eliminator. I reviewed its SDS and it was acceptable to me, keeping in mind what it is intended to do. I have never smelled anything while using it, and it helps that very little of the product is needed.

I highly recommend wearing rubber gloves no matter what solvent you're working with.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you can smell it, that means it's getting into your bloodstream. Something to keep in mind no matter what kind of work you're doing. Of course, a chemical may lack all odor and still get into your bloodstream.

I cannot stand the smell of Ballistol. I've also stored Ballistol in transparent containers, and noticed that a semi-solid separates from the more fluid component of Ballistol after a period of time.

I assume you want a solvent that attacks copper. Like others, I use Bore Tech Eliminator. I reviewed its SDS and it was acceptable to me, keeping in mind what it is intended to do. I have never smelled anything while using it, and it helps that very little of the product is needed.

I highly recommend wearing rubber gloves no matter what solvent you're working with.
View Quote

Ironically, I've found that chemicals I can't smell, don't work for shit. Not saying that's good for our health...

Pretty sure ballistol says to shake before use, so that isn't surprising.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I have some Break-Free CLP and I don't find it smelly.  but i bought a can of Lucas oil producs CLP  and it doesn't smell either.  seemed to clean my gun pretty well too.  
Lucas CLP
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have some Break-Free CLP and I don't find it smelly.  but i bought a can of Lucas oil producs CLP  and it doesn't smell either.  seemed to clean my gun pretty well too.  
Lucas CLP
View Quote

I still have a bit of that left over from the old formula when it was red.  Have you noticed any differences with the new stuff other than the color?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm always looking for a 'dry-cleaning' spray solvent with a strong blast to quickly clean up areas that are hard to get to, like the trigger group well in an AR, etc. Naturally, non-chlorinated brake cleaner does that, but still I'm not satisfied because what I really like is a one-step product that cleans and leaves lubrication. Okay, you say, that's a 'CLP' and there are many. That's true, but they're not a strong spray solvent that is also a 'LP'. I've had some stuff in the garage for a long time that I've used here and there, called 'Super Slick Stuff'. I saw it at Lowes and picked up a can for locks, garage doors, etc. Its a clear liquid with a sort of citrus smell that evaporates but much slower than a regular solvent. I was cleaning my new HK VP9 after a range session and I thought of the 'SSS'. Long story short, this stuff blasts out grease and carbon like brake cleaner but leaves behind dry lubrication and corrosion prevention with no greasy or waxy film. The only other thing I did was use a gun oil (Antivenom) on sliding/friction places. It also cleaned up the bore. Well, I also had to clean my Colt AR, so I used the SSS on that too with excellent results, including the tough places like bolt tail and inside the bolt carrier. I finished up with the Antivenom on the friction areas. Neither one of these products has a heavy chem smell and they do not attack plastics, paint or sight dots.

In the past I experimented freely with a couple of 'One-Shot' products. They were not effective in cleaning and the waxy film residue actually dragged down the action on my ARs and AK. That's when I changed to Strike Industries 'Antivenom' CLP which does a great job. However, in the AK, I went back to good old Ballistol and it was cycling like a new rifle again. Ballistol and the AK just go together but for aluminum/polymer guns, the Super Slick Stuff and Antivenom is a hell of a combination.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Interesting video about Ballistol.  I've used it on numerous metals, plastics, wood & leather, but still haven't tried using it for treating wounds or anything like that.  

Where does Ballistol Multi-Purpose Oil come from? History - Application - Worth knowing
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I still have a bit of that left over from the old formula when it was red.  Have you noticed any differences with the new stuff other than the color?
View Quote

The break free or lucas?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#40]
The newest Breakfree clp has little or no smell to me. I can't smell it at all when using it. It has some odor when a gun gets hot though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ironically, I've found that chemicals I can't smell, don't work for shit. Not saying that's good for our health...

Pretty sure ballistol says to shake before use, so that isn't surprising.
View Quote
I just shook my little container of Ballistol hard enough to make my wrist hurt, and I can see tons of little semi-solid particles floating around inside. This stuff is awful.

I've never seen anyone credibly say that Bore Tech Eliminator doesn't work well. I'm also sure it smells; I just use so little of it (and I don't use it in broom closets) that I've never smelled it as far as I recall.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Not that it solves the smell problem, but avoid oven cleaner. I had a PFC in my squad many years ago that took a can of easy off to his A2. Cleanest bore I ever saw... also did a number on the upper, stripping the finish around any area with significant wear. Army made him sign a statement of charges for just over $300 to replace it. That was big money in the 90's.

I've taken a liking to brakleen. Drives out all of the dirt and oil. Dries up faster than a hooker in cop car. Not sure how it does in fouling. I always use Hoppes in my bore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just shook my little container of Ballistol hard enough to make my wrist hurt, and I can see tons of little semi-solid particles floating around inside. This stuff is awful.

I've never seen anyone credibly say that Bore Tech Eliminator doesn't work well. I'm also sure it smells; I just use so little of it (and I don't use it in broom closets) that I've never smelled it as far as I recall.
View Quote

But where does it actually fail to work as advertised? Where is it lacking versus other similar products? Or is your displeasure just in the practical application?

Never used any bore-tech products. You're welcome to send me a sample.
Quoted:
Not that it solves the smell problem, but avoid oven cleaner. I had a PFC in my squad many years ago that took a can of easy off to his A2. Cleanest bore I ever saw... also did a number on the upper, stripping the finish around any area with significant wear. Army made him sign a statement of charges for just over $300 to replace it. That was big money in the 90's.

I've taken a liking to brakleen. Drives out all of the dirt and oil. Dries up faster than a hooker in cop car. Not sure how it does in fouling. I always use Hoppes in my bore.
View Quote

Brake cleaner is excellent for blasting every bit of shit out of a gun. Scrub with solvent of choice, flush with brake cleaner, apply fresh oil. Easy day.

I usually avoid it because of over-spray and resulting mess. I also don't have to make a rifle inspection ready these days...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top