Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2013 3:37:23 PM EDT
Fairly new to AR15s.  Read some reviews of this stuff online at Midway USA.  Mostly good, one guy said he used it in Iraq.  Anyone here have any experience with it?  
Referring to the aerosol version.  

Shoot straight :)
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Rem Oil is in no way shape or form adequate for serious AR use.

It's been best described as a "light sporting oil"... bird guns, etc.  Fudd use.

Now it would be better than NO LUBE of any kind, but it's a poor choice for the AR.  My preference is Froglube because it stays.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I think this answers my own question:

M4 Carbine.net Corrosion Testing

I think I'll stick to weapon shield :)

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard good things about weapon shield... never tried it though... I have some EWL or whatever Bravo sends out too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I use RemOil after shooting to soak/clean parts...not to lube.  It is a good cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It will work fine if you are going to go shoot a few hundred rounds, clean the gun and re oil it.  If you are shooting thousands of rounds bring the can along and relube as necessary.  I used to run nothing but remington wonderlube  which is nothing but glorified WD-40 and i never had a problem and no excessive wear.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will work fine if you are going to go shoot a few hundred rounds, clean the gun and re oil it.  If you are shooting thousands of rounds bring the can along and relube as necessary.  I used to run nothing but remington wonderlube  which is nothing but glorified WD-40 and i never had a problem and no excessive wear.
View Quote

its fine for a few hundred rounds? This stuff isn't suitable for AR use at all!!! it dries up in like ten shots in a 22 so just imagine an ar.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#7]
NO Rem-Oil!

It is a next to worthless very thin product with marginal lubricating properties that does not do the job on firearms as far as I am concerned.

MUCH better choices out there. SLIP 2000, Tetra=lube, even CLP.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]
remoil is rust in  a can, so I've heard, never used it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Its inexpensive and a good cleaner due to the high mineral spirits content.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll use it to clean and keep a protectant oil coat, but not for lube. Except it does replace WD-40 for my household uses.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's the Rem-Oil with VCI, the VCI works pretty good in a closed space.

But yeah never as a lube.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Why buy aerosol at all? You're paying a lot more for the can and propellant.

H
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep, Remoil is a nice wiper/cleaner product.

If your wallet is feeling too thin to pay for a dedicated weapon lube, get a quart of Mobil 1 from the automotive section.
View Quote

Look at the above corrosion test from M4 carbine.  Mobil 1 was one of the WORST products for preventing rust....it's made for engines, for use in a SEALED system with a pump and  FILTER.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using Weapon Shield for a few years now and it has served me well. I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Look at the above corrosion test from M4 carbine.  Mobil 1 was one of the WORST products for preventing rust....it's made for engines, for use in a SEALED system with a pump and  FILTER.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your wallet is feeling too thin to pay for a dedicated weapon lube, get a quart of Mobil 1 from the automotive section.

Read what you quoted again slowly. He said "dedicated weapon LUBE" not corrosion inhibitor
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I've tried rem oil. It always burned of in the first few hundred rounds. Giving froglube a try right now. I'll probably use grease next after I run out of fl.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
There are hundreds (if not more) of choices of lubes than can be used to good effect on firearms, and we can debate 'til the cows come home which one is best.  Rem-Oil is not one of those.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The only place i use RemOil on an AR is I spary a little on the trigger group after cleaning.  I then blow the excess off with air.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Read what you quoted again slowly. He said "dedicated weapon LUBE" not corrosion inhibitor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True... but then he posted that he answered his own question because of the corrosion test and  the OP is the one that even posted the link.  So about that reading slower thing...

Rem Oil is fine on pump shotguns, lever actions, and bolt actions.  Not quite so much on semi autos.  It's better than nothing, but not something I'd use if I had a choice of almost anything better. It's better than Hoppes #9.  It might be ok in extreme cold weather where it might not thicken as much as other lubes though.  Alaska, Siberia, Northern Canada, etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fairly new to AR15s.  Read some reviews of this stuff online at Midway USA.  Mostly good, one guy said he used it in Iraq.  Anyone here have any experience with it?  
Referring to the aerosol version.  

Shoot straight :)
View Quote

I've used it. It sucks for everything but door-locks.

Rand Innovations CLP is the best stuff I've used, to date.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a bottle that's been sitting on my bench for years.      Not good for lube IMO.     Like others said, it is good for cleaning.     I use it on my knives
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:40:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

remoil is rust in  a can, so I've heard, never used it.
View Quote

When liberally applied, it will protect metal parts from corrosion.  I stored guns for 5 years in a hot and humid Florida attic.  Only one of them developed any rust, and that was a Browning Auto-5, which has some spotting on the barrel.  It's not cosmoline, to be sure, but it will do the job.

WD-40, on the other hand badly rusted a barrel I sprayed it on, when stored in similar conditions.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#25]
As almost everyone has said its worthless. I made the mistake of buying a can because the CLP was sold out. After a few rounds it was all blow off. I use the remaining RemOil for squeaky door hinges.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a can of aerosol Rem-oil from years ago that I now keep in my range bag just in case I need some on-the-spot oil but as stated above, it doesn't last long.  I've been using CLP and will go to M-Pro 7 when the CLP gets low.  I also use TW25b grease in my handguns that I'm going to try on certain locations on my AR to see how it holds up.  Some folks use Mobil1...
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Gents, this is a technical forum.  Please keep it that way.  -Andrewphillipf
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Once again, technical and all that. -Andrewphillipf
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I love the Rem oil.
I have it in both the spray bottle and aerosol and I use it often.....

On my bicycle chains....
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll use it as a cleaner but not to lube.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I use it to spray on a rag or cloth and wipe the outside of my guns. I live in humid FL so if I keep a gun in my car for a few days or I carry a revolver for rat shooting at an animal rescue I work at...I wipe that down because it stays outside for 10-12 hours a day every weekend.

It does seem far to cheap and ineffective to use for lubricating firearms. I too have noticed it burnt off after only a few rounds of .22LR.

I would NOT use it on my AR's.

I use CLP and so far like it. I like the gun scrubber and Break Free high pressure aerosols because they seem to break alot of the carbon loose just with the direct pressure. Plus you can apply to tiny spaces and EXACTLY the amount you want to.

I want to try the fire clean and frog lube I keep hearing amazing things about but I kind of think its all a fad. One day its CLP, the next Mpro7, no frog lube...it seems like its all whatever is trendy and stamped "Marine Corp uses this when killing folks". I scrub, clean and oil my weapons EVERYtime they are fired. I think using frog lube that much at the much higer cost is a waste of money. Maybe it would be worth it if it didnt get cleaned everytime.

Just my opinion... I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I am new to the AR platform. I have plenty of years experience in Shotguns, bolt action rifles and pistols though. I have used Rem oil and never had a problem with rust, nor with lube. Again, in non-AR platforms. It is a thin oil though, that I will admit. The only two cents I wanted to add was that when it comes down to those corrosion charts you must remember. Corrosion protection doesn't mean it makes for great lube, and making for great lube doesn't mean it will be good for preventing corrosion. I've had no problem with rust using rem oil. I've been thinking about using motor oil for my lube in my AR, since I am currently short on cash. But when it comes to rust, as a auto mechanic, I know it sucks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As almost everyone has said its worthless. I made the mistake of buying a can because the CLP was sold out. After a few rounds it was all blow off. I use the remaining RemOil for squeaky door hinges.
View Quote

I use it for the same thing lol

For my ar I use birchwood Casey synthetic gun oil and have never had a problem

Never used a gun great before but have been thinking of trying it, anyone tried some?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I use it to condition and recondition the out side of my guns
Both plastic and metal - brings it back to new looking condition .

Drench , soak, wipe of and it looks great and its abrasion resistant
Cosmetic is all it good for.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Alot of fail in this thread.  

Despite the name. Its a teflon lube... Not a grease, not an oil.. Its supposed to dry up and leave a thin dry layer of slick. Hello! Ever buy silicon lube for anything? Like used in a restauraunt? It works the exact same way. Much like the dry lube on steel cased ammo. So saying it sucks cause its not wet is not a good tech explanation.

That said, I prefer standard oils... I like cheap and easy. But ive used it when it was what i had at the time without any issue....
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top