Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2012 4:46:06 AM EDT
This has been asked before and I apologize in advance for asking again.

For the AR platform and firearms in general, what determines when grease is applied and what determines when oil should be used instead of grease?

There was a good thread on this some time ago, but I obviously didn't subsribe to it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

For the AR platform and firearms in general, what determines when grease is applied and what determines when oil should be used instead of grease?

There was a good thread on this some time ago, but I obviously didn't subsribe to it.

Thanks.

Sliding parts get grease, rotating parts get oil. This isn't always true, but it's a pretty solid "catch-all".

Most oils will do just fine on sliding parts, though, except in cases that they are exceptionally load-bearing.

Example: Les Baer recommends CLP on his 1911 frame rails.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I use both, and none of my firearms have ever seemed to mind. Magnalube grease, G96, Mobil 1 10w40, M-Pro 7, 3-in-1 oi, white lithiuml- they all work just fine, and none of my guns show much wear at all, even after thousands of rounds. I prefer to use grease, though. Stays put longer.

12_guage's rule of thumb is a good thing to remember.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks.

For me it depends on different things! There are times I would choose to use grease
90% of the time I just use oil and its been working well on my AR15`s since 1983

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top