Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 12:58:51 PM EDT
I took my M4 out to the range this week, on Thursday. Put about 230 rounds through it, Russian ammo.

Do I need to do a full-bore cleaning (pun intended) and by that I mean:

Clean bore and chamber with foaming cleaner.
Followed by brush with Hoppes.
Followed by patches through bore with Hoppes.
Followed by patches until they come clean.

BCG soaked in Carbon Killer, full disassemble, scrub, reassembly, completely lubed.

Full chamber cleaning and scrubing, full upper and lower cleaning with NC Brake cleaner.

Or....

Can I just hit the changer with NC BC and chamber brush.
Foam the bore and run snake.
Blast BCG with brake clean and lube it down without disassemble?

How often do you guys give your AR a full cleaning?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I cleam mine everytime i shoot it.

But for the bore all i do is run two patches soaked with a CLP type product then patch dry. I never use a brush, foaming bore cleaner or traditional copper solvents.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I'm all for cleaning, but I'm wondering how necessary a deep/full cleaning is, each time you shoot it.

And, I'm curious why you never use a brush or foaming bore cleaning in your rifle.

Thanks for any input you have.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I took my M4 out to the range this week, on Thursday. Put about 230 rounds through it, Russian ammo.

Do I need to do a full-bore cleaning (pun intended) and by that I mean:

Clean bore and chamber with foaming cleaner.
Followed by brush with Hoppes.
Followed by patches through bore with Hoppes.
Followed by patches until they come clean.

BCG soaked in Carbon Killer, full disassemble, scrub, reassembly, completely lubed.

Full chamber cleaning and scrubing, full upper and lower cleaning with NC Brake cleaner.

Or....

Can I just hit the changer with NC BC and chamber brush.
Foam the bore and run snake.
Blast BCG with brake clean and lube it down without disassemble?

How often do you guys give your AR a full cleaning?

Damn, I don't think I would ever do that.

I clean mine every 500+ rounds or if it is very windy dirty outside.  Like the other poster, a few patches down the barrel + bore brush.  I do take my BCG group apart every time though. Oil and back together.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You take the BCG apart, oil it, but not clean it every time?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Disassembly, cleaning, reassembly and lubrication the bolt carrier group is normal cleaning which should be done every time. Same as using CLP in the bore.

I do not use copper removing solvents or a bore brush as I see no benifit to it in a chrome lined brl. I've got one brl with 7,575 documented rounds through it. Its never been cleaned with anything but patches and various versions of CLP. There has been no noticable decrease in accuracy over the life of the brl. When the accuracy fine does start to worsen its more likely to be from throat erosion than copper fouling.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You take the BCG apart, oil it, but not clean it every time?

Of course I clean it but that consist of spaying it down with Rem oil and wiping it off.  Any carbon build up gets a few hits with a brush or scrapped off with a knife if that bad.  Other wise, it's Rem oil and badda bing...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotcha.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else care to share?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I clean after every shooting session.  I don't use a bore brush either though.  I take apart the upper, including the BCG, and clean everything with CLP, run a bore snake down the barrel a couple of times, and lube with EWL during assembly.  I don't clean in as in preparation for an IG inspection like in the .mil (break out the dental picks and get the weapon clean like new).
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to do a full detail clean after every shoot.  Now I do it around every 3k.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]
full clean every time, pms as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Disassembly, cleaning, reassembly and lubrication the bolt carrier group is normal cleaning which should be done every time. Same as using CLP in the bore.

I do not use copper removing solvents or a bore brush as I see no benifit to it in a chrome lined brl. I've got one brl with 7,575 documented rounds through it. Its never been cleaned with anything but patches and various versions of CLP. There has been no noticable decrease in accuracy over the life of the brl. When the accuracy fine does start to worsen its more likely to be from throat erosion than copper fouling.

Same here. I use a plastic patch holder on my cheap-o cleaning rod. Never used a brush. Never used anything other than CLP, either, although I may try something else when I use up this bottle. M&P-15 with 1,960 documented rounds.

I completely field-strip, clean, and re-lube my rifle each time because it's my patrol rifle; I don't want to stake my life on a dirty rifle if I can help it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I assume pms, in this case, is per military specification? Or did you have something else in mind?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume pms, in this case, is per military specification? Or did you have something else in mind?

Preventive Maintenance
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used to do a full detail clean after every shoot.  Now I do it around every 3k.

Yeah that's me. Only I havent gotten to 3k yet. I'm lazy and it shoots great dirty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anyone else care to share?

It's a tool, spray it with oil wipe it down once or twice and put it away.  Every twelve to eighteen months pull it apart and scrub it down, even if all that does is reacquaint with the working parts.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preventive Maintenance

This.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Ol' Painless has a good page in his arfcom famous Box O' Truth page.

Box O Truth

I clean the bore, chamber, BCG & bolt after every shoot.  Since you're not using corrosive ammo with 5.56, you really don't have to go nuts cleaning every time.  Apply some CLP, especially if rust is a problem in your area, and you should GTG.  I also like to run a wet patch with CLP through the bore when I'm done.  It's not the strongest cleaner but it will work loose some of the fouling as it sits, just remember to wipe the bore dry before shooting!

I use Hoppe's too, good stuff.  I've tried others, but have gone back to good ole' Hoppe's #9.  Love the smell of it.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I dissemble the BCG scrub everything with the plastic "toothbrush". Chamber brush, bore brush, hose it with NC brake cleaner. Mop w/ CLP. Hose down BCG w/ CLP wipe with rag, reassemble. Wipe everything down with the rag that had some CLP on it and back in the safe it goes. Every time I shoot it, but then again I go through at least 200-400 rds each time. I have a few AR's in different platforms so they don't all go out with me each time. When I get some carbon buildup in inside the BCG and the back of the bolt, if it is too bad I'll scrape it off. I'll also toss around a q-tip or two in the lower if it's too bad. Same routine I had in the Corps but with brake cleaner instead of a million patches.
Edit: It also depends if it is corrosive or non-corrosive primers. If it is corrosive I "get after it".
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I clean the bore and chamber and bolt carrier assembly really well since those are things that really matter the most. But I still do a good once over on the insides and outsides of the gun with paper towels and CLP. I do this after every range trip. Gotta keep the rifle running smooth.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I clean everytime i shoot it makes me feel more comfortable the least you can do is re-lube it. Im kinda wierd and i enjoy cleaning my rifle and anything to do with it really but thats just my 2cents
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Every time I shoot the rifle, no matter if I shoot 1 round or a thousand. I am very anal about my firearms.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I clean my main weapon every time I shoot, but it's a patrol rifle so I like the security of knowing that its always clean.  I have run it dirty a few times and still have yet to have any malfunctions, but peace of mind on the street is worth spending a half hour or so cleaning it every time I shoot.

My fun range rifle gets a lot less love and still runs well.  Full cleaning about every 2k and other than that just keep spraying and wiping off the CLP.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top