Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2010 5:27:34 AM EDT
I've seen some suggestions for Dewey and Bore Tech. I'm looking for an all purpose rod for my AR15's and AK74 but something that also could work on a .270 or 7MM mag hunting rifle. If I got a 34" rod would I be able to use different jags for the different calibers. I also just plan on using Jags also as I remember reading that Pat Rogers said that bore brushes were'nt necessary.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like the Tipton carbon rods - ball bearing swivel handle and no chance of damaging the bore. The also can't get grit stuck in them like can happen with coated steel rods. The thing with carbon rods is that they flex too much if they are used in a bore bigger than they are intended for. A 22 cal rod will flex when pushing a 30 cal jag, etc. I have three sizes - 17 to 20 cal, 22 to 26 cal, and 27 to 45 cal. The bigger size works great for shotguns as well. Pay attention to length, because a rod that is too long is a pain in the ass and more likely to bend or break.

Dewey has a similar range of sizes in coated stainless rods that are excellent quality as well.

I guess I'm saing that one size fits all may not be the best approach. Buy a 24" 22 to 26 cal rod for AR and AK 74, and a 30" 27 to 45 cal for the bolt guns and your shotgun. (edit)

And a little hint - go to the hardware store and find a rubber bushing or something similar that fits the rod snugly. Slide it up the rod to the handle to act as a bumper to protet the handle from hitting the gun if you slip. It also becomes a handy depth indicator if there is a particular area you need to work on.

As for bore brushes being unnecessary, try this: Using a jag, clean your bore until you get nice clean patches coming out. Then brush the bore with a little solvent four or five times. Push another patch through, and draw your own conclusions.

Just MHO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Toss up between Dewey and Tipton. I went with Tipton because the Dewey rod is male thread, needs an adapter to go to female thread for the jags and brushes.

As for the brush comment, the only reason you are seeing more fouling is because of that filthy bronze brush you keep running through your bore. The bronze, dirt, and fouling rubs off on the bore, the patch lifts it back off and you see that every time the patch leaves the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:... Dewey rod is male thread, needs an adapter to go to female thread for the jags and brushes..
and that gets old, fast.  I will not be buying deweys again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:... Dewey rod is male thread, needs an adapter to go to female thread for the jags and brushes..

Get the adapter for under $2. Then replace it when the threads wear down over time. The Tipton is shot when the threads are gone and you will have to buy a whole new rod. The Dewey is the better rod.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Bore-tech.

I've owned tipton and dewey and the bore-tech is by far the nicest.
Link Posted: 5/10/2010 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
instead you should use a bore snake it cleans more completely but you have to repalce them from time to time
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
A bore snakes needs to be washed and dried after every use.  Why keep running the same crud back down the barrel?  One quick wipe of my stainless rod and it's clean.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used a lot of cleaning rods over the years.
Nonetheless, my vote is for the Bore-Tech Bore Stix rods.
Kinda pricy though but, well worth it IMO.

However, be advised that they are caliber specific.
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
instead you should use a bore snake it cleans more completely but you have to repalce them from time to time

With all due respect if you think a Bore Snake cleans better then a rod and jag set you don't know what you are talking about. I mean no offense but it's true. Do a little reading on here and learn what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
What about Ivy Rods?
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have issues with a 36" dewey bending on a 16" AR15 barrel? I wanted to get a 1 for all rod, but am worried about possible flex.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone have issues with a 36" dewey bending on a 16" AR15 barrel? I wanted to get a 1 for all rod, but am worried about possible flex.

Absolutely.  My Deweys flex like nobody's business.  Very annoying.

Link Posted: 6/7/2010 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Never had any real problems.  I have one hand on the muzzle to guide the rod and reduce flexing and the other on the handle feeding.  I've cleaned everything from long barrel mil-surps to AR's and AK's and its the best rod I've ever owned.  

One bit of truth to it is the longer rods do get a little ungainly, especially when cleaning long barreled rifles (less so on shorter weapons).  But any cleaning rod able to reach muzzle to chamber on an M1 is going to be really long.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2010 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Bloodsport, are you cleaning from the muzzle?  I hope not.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.  My Deweys flex like nobody's business.  Very annoying.
You're 'pushing' your rods through the bore?
I prefer to pull them through.  Zero flex this way.  

ETA: I obviously use a patch loop and not a jag.
I learned to cross-drill my Dewey chamber brush rod handle to trap the rod and keep it from pulling out of the plastic handle though.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought the Tipton and really like it. Used last week and it is FAR better than the sectional ones. As to the threads wearing out, not in my lifetime. It's also sturdy enough in the .22-26 caliber to use in my .30-30.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bore-tech.

I've owned tipton and dewey and the bore-tech is by far the nicest.

This has been my experience, too...  You won't be dissapointed with bore-tech.

Link Posted: 6/20/2010 4:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My Dewey rods are female thread no adapter req, unless using 8-36 tpi vs 8-32 tpi.

I can clean a barrel better than any bore snake on the market using a simple bronze brush and some double nap white cotton flannel patches custom cut on a jag.  I've tried both.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#19]
umph...Boresnakes.  Crap.

Clean your barrel with a bore snake until it is as clean as you can get it.  Now use a conventional rod with bore brush, then patches with jag.  You'll see how great the boresnake is.

Also, do you really want all the grit that the boresnake collects being scraped through your barrel again and again?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been using a combination of Bore-Snake and a wooden dowel rod for years.  I dip the Bore-Snake in Hope's 9 and run it through a few times then use the dowel to push patches through (alternating between dry and Hope's 9 soaked patches until patch comes out clean).  This method has worked well for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Tipton carbon fiber rod, and really like it.

As for the bore snake, it's great for cleaning out a brushed bore, which is really what it's for.  I don't think it's sold as a replacment for a bore brush.

I brush my bores 5-10 times, patch out the big crud, then bore snake it to really get it clean.  Seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never had a problem with the cheapo aluminum or brass ones.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've never had a problem with the cheapo aluminum or brass ones.

You're right, and me neither.  I think the nice Dewey's and Tipton's and Otis's are great, if you have the extra money to spend on them, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with old gov't mil-spec butt stock cleaning kit multi-section rods, either.  Or Outers or Hoppes rods.  I use all of the above.  The most important thing is that you clean it properly with a bore brush and some patches, using proper methods and some good cleaners (wether that be home made or store bought).  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Dewey, Tipton, Boresnake, stainless rods - I've used all of them for cleaning my AR.  I'll share my opinions about performance versus price & durability.

Once the nylon coating of the Dewey wears out, you're forced to consider buying a new one.  Deweys run at least $26 to usually $30's.  No lifetime use on them.  The coating is black so its sometimes hard to see embedded crud, but you can feel it when it happens.  Not a bad rod, but there's better.

Stainless Steel rod - from PRO-SHOT Products of Taylorville, IL, $22.  "Hefty" steel has hardly any flex.  The micro-polished surface reveals dirt & crud, both visibly & by touch.  But the problem is its steel and your barrel is even harder chrome-lined steel.  It gets scratched by the rifling, all of which are very fine, but probably the bore gets finely scratched too.  I can see how it might get a deep deep scratch, and then I think the rod is trashed.

Tiptons are great because of the carbon fiber, which should never wear out.  It'll flex a lot and return to normal, unlike any metal rod.  But carbon fiber also means you better not abuse it much - they say you can "lightly hammer" thru a tough patch but I won't do that on my Tipton.  Min $30's.

The Boresnake - great quick cleaning, but...  after two years and a long winter season of downtime, I discovered that part of my Boresnake had broken down & disintegrated into a rubbery gooey mess.  Maybe its my fault I left it dirty with solvent.  $10-$15 for a quick clean accessory is halfway towards a very decent cleaning rod.

Bottom line...the TipTon is worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#25]
i bought a tipton 30"  (cant remember which one) for a 223 here  http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/tipton+rods/sort~price-asc

and it was free shipping over 29.99 so I ordered a 223 brass jag and tip
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top