Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2007 9:54:45 AM EDT
New to the AR platform. Should I clean the rifle before firing it for the first time? Or just shoot it and clean after first shoot?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean and lube before firing.

There are tacked threads posted at the top in this fourm that cover the how to's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes , clean and inspect before takeing to the range. WD
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for your invaluable advice. I received the following from the manufacturer.

"I would suggest a basic field cleaning of the rifle before you shoot it for
the first time. I would not clean the barrel in any way though. With a
chrome lined barrel you should break in the barrel by shooting approximately
200-300 rounds before you clean it for the first time."

This site is extremely beneficial. Although I have only been reading it for a short time span I have found a wealth of information that allows me to make an educated decision.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I would pull a dry patch before fireing. You just never know what could be in there. But agree with the 2-300 rnds. There's really nothing to break in on a chromed barrel. Congrads, WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would pull a dry patch before fireing. You just never know what could be in there. But agree with the 2-300 rnds. There's really nothing to break in on a chromed barrel. Congrads, WarDawg

+1 on running a patch through the barrel to remove any "post manufacturing" debris that might be lurking in there.

Tack
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
+1 on running a patch through the barrel to remove any "post manufacturing" debris that might be lurking in there.

Tack

Agreed.

I have a new SAM-R clone that’s about to gets it’s first “pre-range” cleaning. The barrel will get a good flushing out with Break-Free Powder Blast then the basic cleaning with CLP. The rest of the rifle will get lubed as normal with a bit of extra lube on the gas rings, cam pin, bolt lugs and bolt carrier rails just for break-in
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top