Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2006 9:38:14 PM EDT
i just finaly did a full take down of the ar and am cleaning and lubing everything. i thought i seen something before about lubing the firing pin but now i cant find anything about actually lubing it. should i lube it? thanks everyone
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

All moving parts should be lubricated.   In fact, all metal surfaces should have a light protective layer of oil applied to prevent corrosion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR maintenance manual says " a light coating " of oil should be used. Essentially, that means that there is enough lube to see, but not enough to pool up.

I put some oil on mine, then wipe it gently with a rag to remove the excess. Remember that when using oil, the biggest danger is that you will attract and hold dirt, grit, soot from burned gunpowder or such.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Most civie shooters overlube their rifles.  You would be hard-pressed to physically remove the lube with a rag.  So wiping it "dry" after cleaning will leave it properly lubed (this does not apply to the cam pin and bolt).
'
This does not apply if you use some chemical degreaser - only if you clean with CLP.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks everyone. i do use the clp and fp-10 on all my stuff. i shot 240 rounds of steel cased wolf and just finaly cleaned the bolt and MY GOD was it dirty!
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Light coat of CLP and that's it; meaning, that is slick to the touch, but not dripping full of oil.

People sometimes overdo the lubing and end up with a disgusting glob of CLP just dripping all over the place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have found that you will want to run the upper "wet" when shooting Wolf.  If the upper is on the dry side, the powder fouling from the ammo will gum things up after a couple hundred rounds.

That said, don't run the firing pin wet.  You want a very light coat to no coat of oil on the pin.  The pin is hard chromed after all, so it is not going to wear out from lack of lube.  If you put the pin back in dry, but heavily lube the outside of the bolt and carrier, enough lube will eventually pentrate inside the bolt to provide a light coating on the pin anyway.

If the lube is heavy on the pin, the powder fouling will congregate on the pin, leading eventually to light primer strikes.  I have have seen it happen personally.  If you were to let the rifle sit for a few months without cleaning, the mixture of powder fouling and lube could harden up, which could lead to slam fires.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends on if she is going into storage for a long time.. I dont do much shooting in the winter so all of my stuff gets a heavy coating of home stuff..
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
thanks everyone. i do use the clp and fp-10 on all my stuff. i shot 240 rounds of steel cased wolf and just finaly cleaned the bolt and MY GOD was it dirty!

FP-10 is a CLP.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top