Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:14:08 PM EDT
I bought my wife a Bushmaster M4 A3 over the weekend.  (16" barrel.)  I have some questions about cleaning the bore:

1. I would like to get a one-piece, coated cleaning rod, e.g. Dewey.  What size should I get?  Dewey offers rods for "17 to 20 caliber" and "22 to 26" caliber.   I assume I should get the "22 to 26" caliber, correct?

2. What length should the cleaning rod be?  In the "22 to 26" caliber rods, Dewey offers 12", 17", 24", and 30" lengths.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered a 26" coated Dewey rod from Brownell's, it should be just long enough for my 16" with bore guide.  Be sure to get a bore guide too.   Dewey makes a nice one, cheapest I found on Brownell's.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just ordered a 26" coated Dewey rod from Brownell's, it should be just long enough for my 16" with bore guide.  Be sure to get a bore guide too.   Dewey makes a nice one, cheapest I found on Brownell's.  

Thanks.

Brownells has two bore guides for the AR-15:

812-015-002
100-000-432

Which do you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You want the bore guide model, not the muzzel guide model.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally broke down and bought an Otis kit... and I love it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

812-015-002
100-000-432

Which do you recommend?

NEITHER!  Pull the dewey thru the barrel from chamber out.  You'll never have a problem if you do things the RIGHT WAY!

Plus it's one less piece of crap to buy and keep track of! w00t!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

812-015-002
100-000-432

Which do you recommend?

NEITHER!  Pull the dewey thru the barrel from chamber out.  You'll never have a problem if you do things the RIGHT WAY!

Plus it's one less piece of crap to buy and keep track of! w00t!

I feel the reason for the chamber guide is to keep bore solvent and other nasty shit out of the action.  Whenever I pull my Otis snake from chamber to muzzle, that first soaked patch gets everywhere.

And to somewhat answer the above question, I purchased this one with my Dewey rod.  Waiting for it to arrive.

www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5632&title=DEWEY+SEMI-AUTO+CLEANING+ROD+GUIDES
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Any benefit to a rod over a boresnake? I've almost always use a snake
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I feel the reason for the chamber guide is to keep bore solvent and other nasty shit out of the action.  Whenever I pull my Otis snake from chamber to muzzle, that first soaked patch gets everywhere.

I separate my upper and lower completely.  The action is laying on the floor somewhere when I pull a patch thru the bore.  Sometimes a little solvent gets in the upper receiver, but that needs to be cleaned anyway.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#9]
for me boresnake only good for drying a bore before I go shooting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

I can't see using that thing as my cleaning method.  But it's better than no cleaning at all I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the tipton 1-piece carbon fiber rod. It has super smooth bearings and the carbon fiber won't imbed particulates or scratch any surfaces.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Been using this bore guide:
Bore Guide

Fits snug, metal, not cheezy plastic.  The rod I use with it is a big +1 for the Tipton.  I have Deweys, but there is no comparison.  I now will only buy Tipton.  Much better handle, and the bearings feel smoother.

Lois
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#13]
If the rod is carbon fiber and cannot hurt anything, why should you use a rod guide?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the rod is carbon fiber and cannot hurt anything, why should you use a rod guide?

Cuz the slotted tip or jag isn't carbon fiber.  And if you're cleaning by pushing patches and brushes thru a guide helps when you're fighting it.  But like I said...  I pull patches and brushes thru and eliminate the need for another gizmo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cuz the slotted tip or jag isn't carbon fiber.

Right, it's brass which is much softer than chrome, correct? Is there another reason?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I have Dewey and OTIS and old military AR16 cleaning kit! all are Fine and get the JOB DONE

I like the otis because you can stick it in your grip?  if ya have a plug or that type of grip
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Right, it's brass which is much softer than chrome, correct? Is there another reason?

Maybe yours is brass, but Mine isn't, Jethro.  That's why I pull it through.  I see no need for the guide either for what it's worth.  But some people like buying lots of gadgets.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I can't see using that thing as my cleaning method.  But it's better than no cleaning at all I suppose.

I keep a Boresnake and small bottle of CLP in my range bag. I use it for a quick cleaning at the range if it's going to be a while before I can give it a thorough cleaning.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top