Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 9:31:11 PM EDT
How do I want to keep up with my rifle?

Who makes a good kit? I have Hoppes #9 solvent, Hoppes gun oil, a bore snake, and a standard rod that I use on my .22. Can I use all of that on the AR?

How often do I want to clean the barrel? It's chrome-lined.  Any special brushes?

How often do I want to clean internals such as the bolt and carrier?

It has never been shot yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Everytime you take it out to shoot.  I'm a firm believer that the caked up gunky shit in your bolt that gets to sit for any period of time, actually becomes harder to clean.

I'm also considered a "clean freak" by some folks that know me.

But what do I know.  I've been known to and used to checking my rifle outta the armory just to clean it.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
This is just my opinion,others may have a different preferrence Im sure..
Give up buying a kit for you home cleaning and buy individual components.I would buy a coated Dewey rod,a Dewey chamber AR15 cleaning kit and Dewey brushes.As a note the Dewey AR chamber rod can also be used as a pistol cleaing rod.
I like the ProShot bulk patches.They are double knapped cotton flannel and priced right.
Keep the bore snake for field cleaning.Otis also makes an excellent buttstock cleaning kit for the field.
The Hoppe's #9 is a verygood powder solvent as well as a mild copper solvent.I like to use it as it seems to keep copper fouling at a minimum.
Save the Hoppe's oil for hand tools or whatever around the house type applications.It just does not hold up well enough in the AR IMHO.
I would use something like Break Free CLP or Firepower FP-10 CLP.If you want a dedicated lubricant preservative,look at Break Free LP or one of my all time favorites Mil-comm TW-25B which I think is one of the best available.
New firearms...I always field strip,clean and lube everything before shooting.My experience has been that most firearms from the factory are either dry or coated with some sort of funky grease or oil.Some even have bits of metal in the mix from assembly.My last AR had small shavings of metal in the bore.
My routine is to clean the entire weapon everytime it is used regardless of how many rounds have been fired.I was raised that way so Im stuck with the habit.I cant sleep if I do not.Old saying "the sun never sets on a dirty weapon" rolls around in my head.Im so anal about it I have to clean or at least wipe the firearms down before I do anything else.Like someone said here before,"weapon comes first,everything else follows."
HTH
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is just my opinion,others may have a different preferrence Im sure..
Give up buying a kit for you home cleaning and buy individual components.I would buy a coated Dewey rod,a Dewey chamber AR15 cleaning kit and Dewey brushes.As a note the Dewey AR chamber rod can also be used as a pistol cleaing rod.
I like the ProShot bulk patches.They are double knapped cotton flannel and priced right.
Keep the bore snake for field cleaning.Otis also makes an excellent buttstock cleaning kit for the field.
The Hoppe's #9 is a verygood powder solvent as well as a mild copper solvent.I like to use it as it seems to keep copper fouling at a minimum.
Save the Hoppe's oil for hand tools or whatever around the house type applications.It just does not hold up well enough in the AR IMHO.
I would use something like Break Free CLP or Firepower FP-10 CLP.If you want a dedicated lubricant preservative,look at Break Free LP or one of my all time favorites Mil-comm TW-25B which I think is one of the best available.
New firearms...I always field strip,clean and lube everything before shooting.My experience has been that most firearms from the factory are either dry or coated with some sort of funky grease or oil.Some even have bits of metal in the mix from assembly.My last AR had small shavings of metal in the bore.
My routine is to clean the entire weapon everytime it is used regardless of how many rounds have been fired.I was raised that way so Im stuck with the habit.I cant sleep if I do not.Old saying "the sun never sets on a dirty weapon" rolls around in my head.Im so anal about it I have to clean or at least wipe the firearms down before I do anything else.Like someone said here before,"weapon comes first,everything else follows."
HTH

Haha that's how I am with my Ruger, but I was just wondering if it's bad to clean it too much.

What parts do I want to oil/clean mainly?  How anal do I have to get?

I keep very good care of my Ruger 10/22, but it's alot simpler than the AR.  Everytime I shoot, I go home and tear it down and clean it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm REALLY bad when it comes to this! I HATED to shoot my M-16 when I was in the guard those19yrs The M-16 is a real PITA to clean to supply SGT stanards for turn-in.... I would NEVER shoot BLANKS through it when we went to the field.
Now that I'm out, I clean my AR when it looks dirty. Most of the time I'll run my "Bore snake" though it (Barrel) 3-4 times. The barrel is a "Bushy"cromed lined And it likes my reloads, and H335 powder.
Wolf AMMO is cheap but real dirty, but still fun to shoot.No picking up brass!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top