Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:33:37 AM EDT
I would like to point out that the ultrasonic cleaner I picked up this week from Harbor Freight - the $70 model - is great for cleaning brass.

It is also great for cleaning steel, like the steel in a bolt carrier/bolt.

By "cleaning steel", I mean "removing all the finish from".

I now have a bolt & bolt carrier in raw steel! Great.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I ain't got a clue to what a ultrasonic cleaner  dohicky is... I normally just use a toothbrush and some Hoppes #9 and let sit for a few minuets. And also a Q tip . Im sorry to hear of your mishap... WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
got any before and after pics of your gun parts you cleaned with it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
What solution did you clean it with in your ultrasonic cleaner?  Did it remove the parkerizing?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m also interested in knowing what type of solution you used. The ultrasonic waves alone can not remove parkerizing. I’ve used ultrasonic cleaners in aviation, on parts a lot more delicate than a AR bolt!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ry-

Where are you dude??? What solution did you use?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
"cough, cough"
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Tagged for pics and an explanation of what happened.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag for pics
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I’m also interested in knowing what type of solution you used. The ultrasonic waves alone can not remove parkerizing. I’ve used ultrasonic cleaners in aviation, on parts a lot more delicate than a AR bolt!

+1 for aviation uses. Been there, done that. I'm wonder if maybe this guy had a chromed bolt to begin with and had just never seen it clean before...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry guys, life has been busy. I used 50% white vinegar, 50% distilled water, and a few drops of dish soap. I'll get some pictures tonight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a great cartridge case cleaning formula, but not so sure about cleaning bolts/carriers/barrels.  I've never heard of a home brew that used vinegar as a basis for a cleaner, except as a lead remover when mixed 50/50 w/hydrogen peroxide.

I've always wondered if you used a dedicated cleaner, like SLIP 2000 Carbon Cutter or Milcom's cleaner/degreaser product in a sonic cleaner, if that wouldn't be a simple and effective method.  I could see just plunking the bolt and carrier in a glass beaker, filling it up with product, and tossing it in the tank for a couple of minutes while you take care of the barrel.  By the time you're done, wipe cleaned parts down, put some CLP on them and slap back together. Voila!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That's a great cartridge case cleaning formula, but not so sure about cleaning bolts/carriers/barrels.  I've never heard of a home brew that used vinegar as a basis for a cleaner, except as a lead remover when mixed 50/50 w/hydrogen peroxide.

I've always wondered if you used a dedicated cleaner, like SLIP 2000 Carbon Cutter or Milcom's cleaner/degreaser product in a sonic cleaner, if that wouldn't be a simple and effective method.  I could see just plunking the bolt and carrier in a glass beaker, filling it up with product, and tossing it in the tank for a couple of minutes while you take care of the barrel.  By the time you're done, wipe cleaned parts down, put some CLP on them and slap back together. Voila!

I was thinking of picking up some Kroil or possibly transmission fluid. One problem is filtering the stuff for re-use.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Pictures, Dude.  Please!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
sorry guys, life has been busy. I used 50% white vinegar, 50% distilled water, and a few drops of dish soap. I'll get some pictures tonight.

Ancient Roman Prostitutes used the very same formula as a douche.

Sorry about the hijack - but I couldn't help it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Pictures, Dude.  Please!

Dude! I'm at work! My rifles are at home! Wait until I can get home to take some pictures!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Here you go. The grey area in the middle is very rough - the other areas and smooth as normal.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Could the Vinger etched the steel?

Why would you use vinger and acid to clean your rifle???

Brass becomes nice and shinny for the acid eats away some of the surface material.  One of the reason you do not want to use acid to clean brass.

Vinger is for salad dressing.

Whats next olive oil and vinger as the new CLP?

Spray the whole BC with brake cleaner then take a pic. It def not as bad as you were pointing out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#19]
That gray area looks just like my carrier after using SLIP Carbon Cutter.  Just lube it up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Could the Vinger etched the steel?

Why would you use vinger and acid to clean your rifle???

Brass becomes nice and shinny for the acid eats away some of the surface material.  One of the reason you do not want to use acid to clean brass.

Vinger is for salad dressing.

Whats next olive oil and vinger as the new CLP?

Spray the whole BC with brake cleaner then take a pic. It def not as bad as you were pointing out.

+1

Not sure how much additional cleaning (using more conventional means) that you have tried after this, but try giving it a good scrubbing with brake cleaner to take off any residue (and any stripped finish) then give it a good soak in CLP.  It should bring it back.  As it looks right now, even if the finish is stripped it shouldnt affect performance, you will just have to be more religious about cleaning to prevent any kind of corrosion on unprotected surfaces.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top