Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 1:43:55 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie at cleaning combat type AR's.  I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find reults for by searching or reading away.

I'm somewhat anal about cleaning my firearms, but I try to do so in a way that doesn't cause damage to the bore.  My new AR is the first I've had that has an A2 flash hider, the rest are heavy barrel target guns.  How does one go about cleaning the inside of the flash hider and front of the barrel safely?

Next, this barrel is my first chrome lined bore.  Looking down the bore it looks shiney when clean.  If I look into the bore from an angle the bore looks like it has some copper fouling on it.  It has maybe 700-800 rounds through it so far.  What is boggling my mind is that hoppes #9 doesn't seem to be removing anymore copper for the bore (no more blue), this includes the waiting a few TV shows before the next patch.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrads on your rifle. First this is how I go about cleaning. I take a toothbrush and with Break free CLP I lihtly scrub the Flash S. I also use a Q tip to wipe the inside of the FS and Barrel face. Wet it and let it sit for a while. Then come back with dry Q tip's and wipe off. All you need to do. You can get some Hoppes Copper solvent and let sit for a few minutes every 1000 mrnds or so but thats all you need to do. Don't over clean it to white glove inspection . Ease up and clean her but don't abuse her with cleaning. Drill Sgt ain't come to inspect it.. LOL. A tooth brush and Break free CLP is your friend. A Otis cleaning kit is a good way to go also. I wouldn't use the USGI issue kits. Only as back up for the field. IMO WarDawg
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top