Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2005 1:25:56 PM EDT
I know, a dumb question.  But how often does everyone clean their AR's?  After every shooting?  After every 500/1000 rounds?  

I generally try to clean all my guns after I shoot them (don't have a huge collection yet, only 5, so that's easy to rotate and shoot them frequently!)  I know people that don't clean their Glocks very often for example, and have no problems.  I know rifles (and shotguns) are more care intensive typically though (the AR is my first rifle, but I have a few shotguns).

I'm just trying to determine if I can let slide a cleaning or two between shootings.  I typically shoot my AR twice a month (well that's what I'm trying for at least, I've only had it a month!)  I don't use this for competition or anything serious, just something fun to shoot while out at the range.  

(Flame suit on just in case!)  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
i clean the same  every time weather i fire i shot or 500. I just get done fater with one shot vs 500.

SOme like glocks never clean. I spent to much on my rifle to do this.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Crytoboy;
I am a competitor in NRA Highpower Rifle match shooting. A average practice session is 50-60 rounds and matches are 50 or 80 rounds + sighter shots. I clean after every practice or match. The complete rifle including "all" the parts inside of the bolt carrier! I also do repairs and rebarreling for other competitors. Most of the rifles that come in are not cleaned as frequiently as mine. Some leave parts uncleaned or poorly cleaned at best. I may add poorly lubed too!
My oldest AR rifle, Colt 6601. It is on it's third barrel. About 14,000 + rounds. The only part I have replaced are the extractor spring and it's insert. I change the cam pin with each barrel change. This may be over kill but it is a critical part and will show wear. All other components are the orginal and I may add in great shape with only minor finish wear.
To my point. Those rifles that don't get my type of attention do not get barrel life or max accuracy. The bolts are deeply pitted behind the gas rings. Carbon buildup here will collect humidity and corrode the bolt. Carbon build up inside the bolt carrier and in the recess in the top of the upper receiver are commonly over looked too. Heavy build ups of crude will only cause excessive wear on all parts causing them to malfunction and wear out prematurely. No or improperly lubed parts will also do the same. The AR rifle a service rifle and quite reliable and can take alot of abuse but I like mine cleaned and lubed. No alibis, stoppages and no worn out parts before their time.
Hope this helps

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I would like to add to my previous post. That I use a Dewey AR chamber and locking lug recess tool. It does a fine job and is a real time saver. Available from Midway USA.
Sinclair also makes this tool.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I normally clean the guns i have as i shoot them, i'll at least wipe the gun down and lube the moving parts if i don't swab the barrel also.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Clean and inspect and lube properly agfter each firing...you'll keep your rifle longer and it will perform as it should...'nuff said.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I only own one gun right now,so after everytime i shoot*between 400-1,000 each trip*,its gets totaly cleaned up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I clean after every trip to the range, but certainly not to 'inspection clean' standards.

-Run the Otis down the barrel a few times (or Boresnake once or twice if I am feeling lazy).

-Quick twirl of the chamber brush.

-A few minutes of quality time with a nylon brush on the bolt group.

I use BF CLP for cleaning, Remington Gun Oil w/teflon Aeresol for lubing.

The only rifles I really baby when I clean are my C&R rifles, and I spend lots of time on those just because I love to do so, not because they need it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top