Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 9:07:15 PM EDT
I was posting a reply about rust , on  another board , and it suddenly occurred to
me how many posts relate to cleaning / maintaining weapons.

There are a lot of firearms owners out there who don’t have Military or  LEO training  , or even
much recreational experience with weapons  ; so I thought I would share the simple things
that work for me.

(This ain’t rocket science , so if you find it too simplistic I apologize )

DISCLAIMER: If you have a BAD rust or Finish problem - PLEASE consult a Professional!

The worst thing you can do to a  fine firearm is OVER CLEAN it.
More guns are probably damaged or  “Uglified” by overcleaning than by normal use.

( Melted plastic , stained wood , metal finish that looks like a Belt Sander was used on it –
We’ve all seen this )

First – some DON’T’S

Do NOT use steel wool ,brillo pads,  sandpaper, or other abrasives in an attempt to remove a
Stubborn “spot” on your gun or  “even out ” the finish.

Do NOT   DRENCH your gun with Industrial strength solvents , gasoline , kerosene , or
That WONDER CLEANER your shootin Buddy brought home from the Nuclear Plant.

Do NOT spend  $ xxx dollars on “The Ultimate Cleaning Kit “ that everybody and their Brother Advertises.! (unless you’d rather throw money away than shoot it up )

Now  ; you CAN go ahead and use your favorite commercial bore cleaner and gun lubricant.
ALL the commercial products are safe and effective when used as directed.
( RemOil , Sweets , CLP etc. – not a problem )

Here are some of the things I regularly use:

Cleaning products:

All of these items are inexpensive; most can be bought in bulk quantities , and are available
At drugstores – dollar stores – hardware stores- craft stores or K and W marts.

Orange (or green) cleaner –  degreases and cleans – will not harm metal finishes , wood or plastic.

Armor All – (or generic equivalent )- cleans and protects, works great on / safe for plastic/synthetics and leather.

Gun oil – (any brand) – lubricates and inhibits corrosion.

Silicon wipe cloths (any brand) – displaces moisture from metal pores.
( great when you don’t want a greasy coat on the outside)

CLEANING TOOLS:

Nylon or natural bristle brushes – ( No scratches !) tooth brushes are ok but not as durable.

Cotton swabs – for nooks and crannies , cleaning out holes.

Lint free cloths – ( yes , rags and cut up underwear work , but these will grab the dirt and not just
Push it around) you can also make your own cleaning patches with them..

NYLON bore brushes -  (cheaper than brass or bronze - .35  and .22 cal will fit most rifles and pistols-
Use with a plastic or coated rod NO STEEL ! ( you’re cleaning – not drilling )

That’s about it – Just add a little Elbow Grease – or better yet have the Missus do it  

You should end up with this –

Instead of THIS

Happy cleaning  , and peace

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top