Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:45 AM EDT
How can I make my S&W 686 shine?  I have seen one a few months ago.
Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
you want to polish a bead blasted stainless steel?

i did it to a brushed stainless 1911, and it took alot of work and alot of fine grit sand paper wet and dry and to finish it up i used rubbing compound and then finally car polish. it has a nice mirror polish now and looks pretty darn good imo. hard part is getting all the nooks and crannys.

ETA: i used 600 dry then wet with soap then went to 1000 grit first dry and then wet 1500 dry then wet then 2000 dry then wet then 2500 wet then went to the fine rubbing compound then car polish. be prepaired to take the whole thing apart even sights. to get it to look right.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Flitz and a dremmel tool w/buffing wheel & a 12 pk of natural light should do it. Get the big tube and lots of buffing wheels.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I did my 15 year old 686 using Flitz and a cotton cloth.I did not touch the top of the frame and barrel or the inside of the frame around the cylinger.Left that area dull.
The pistol looks like my trusty old nickel 586 combat mag..
God I love the old square butt medium and large frame S&W revolvers.They are just sexy.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top