Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 11:53:18 AM EDT
What is the proper way to clean my RRA with a bore snake?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
On the part of the bore snake where there are wires sticking out, I put some brake cleaner or you can use Gunscrubber or some other type of solvent.  Then, further up from the wire, I spray on some oil.  Run the bore snake through the barrel from the chamber end about 7 times and you should be good to go.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to a gun show about 2 weeks ago, and one of the set ups, JUST had bore snakes.  They were saying that you should put the solvent on the snake, before the wire brush, and oil on about the last 1/2" of the boresnake.  Though, I will admit, I came in here, to see what other people thought of the bore snake, and how they used it.  :-)
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you can do it a number of ways, but when I use a wire brush to clean the barrel, I put the solvent on the wire brush.  I don't put solvent on a patch, run it through the barrel, and then run the wire brush through it.  So, to duplicate this process, I would put the solvent on the wire brush part of the Bore Snake.  Then, putting the oil at the last half inch of the Bore Snake is like running a patch with oil as the last part of cleaning process.  When I do regular cleaning, I run a patch with oil and then run a dry patch to take any excess oil out.  To duplicate this process with the Bore Snake, you would put the oil further down the Bore Snake so that the oil is deposited and then wiped off with the dry part of the Bore Snake.  That is why I do it as I stated.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have always just squirted CLP directly into the bore, give it a few sconds to run all the way down, then pull the bore snake thru- repeat a few times.  I try to do this at the range while the fouling is still new and hot, when I get the rifle home for a good cleaning I find it to be clean already, even with Hoppes 9 the patchs come out clean as could be.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
How often do you guys clean your bore snake and how? I've been leery to use it as I don't want to run a dirty snake back thru it again and again. Seems like a good 1 piece rod will do a bettr job IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How often do you guys clean your bore snake and how? I've been leery to use it as I don't want to run a dirty snake back thru it again and again. Seems like a good 1 piece rod will do a bettr job IMHO.

Hot soapy water in the sink.  The stuff kinda turns into a paste and I squeeze it out of the snake between my fingernails.  Once I'm not getting too much more of that I'll either dry it, or run it through the wash with the rest of my cleaning rags to really get the gunk out.  I just let it air dry.  I do that after every couple of cleanings.

I really only use the snake for field cleaning.  At home I use the Otis kit for real cleaning to get the grit hugging the rifeling.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top