Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 7:04:15 AM EDT

I mean come on - that much can't happen by the dirty guns sitting up for just a few days, right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I would just push a couple of clean patches through the bore and then have at it this weekend.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it works, you are fine.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to be rather anal in the cleaning routine... now that my collection has gone from insanely diverse to 1911's, Glocks and AR's (outside the hunting gear)  I just pull a boresnake thru it after the range session and save the 'serious' cleaning (IE anything involving disassembly) for once ever 3 or 4 months...  and I shoot weekly.

Since corrosive primers are nearly a thing of the past, you really can go a LONG time between cleanings without worry.... It took me a while to realize this... I'm happier for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Sun never sets on a dirty gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sun never sets on a dirty gun.

Thats the ideal, right? Cause its not the reality.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
It a carry over from the days of BP.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I clean all weapons after every session of firing.  I find 30 minutes of cleaning is sufficient.  Not inspection clean, but practical / functional.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I Carry one daily in my pickup, and I put 20 to 30 rounds a week though it and maybe clean it every 4 months.  Oh yeah, my truck isn't a city bound vehicle either
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I clean everything I shoot just as soon as I get it back from the range. My experience is that the crud scrapes off easier when it is still warm...

Old habits die hard, I guess...I believe that when you return from one 'mission', you should immediately prepare all of your gear for the NEXT mission.

I don't know if it is an ideal, and certainly not strictly necessary. Remember that more guns are damaged by improper or too-frequent cleanings than are busted up by shooting non-corrosive ammo and then being left sitting around with soot in them for awhile!

Most of my shooting buddies clean their pieces once a year, 'whether they need it or not.'

I get zero malfs. They get many malfs, with accelerated parts wear and lots of breakages.

To me, that counts as yet another reason to be 'retentive' about firearms cleanliness!

Even my Glocks get this treatment.

Best regards,

FastVFR
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I clean all weapons after every session of firing.  I find 30 minutes of cleaning is sufficient.  Not inspection clean, but practical / functional.

I tend to agree with my fellow devil dog on this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tend to agree with my fellow devil dog on this.

Yep, when weapons start grindng from fouling or lack of oil you get premature wear and parts breakages.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I clean it every time I'm done shooting....................for what I've invested in it, I'm gonna damn well make sure it's good to go
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I always make sure the bolt and bolt carrier gets cleaned. I pass a boresnake through the barrel and lube the barrel extension lugs/section.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
"Clean"

Hmmm.... This is the second time today someone has posted a topic like this.

The other was "Break In"... whatever that is

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top