Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:28:14 PM EDT
Ok, i tried to get pictures of this but the camera doesnt focus well enough so I'll have to try and explain it the best I can. It's a brand new Bushmaster A2 type 20". It seems to me that specks are forming all over the receiver, the finish still appears to be there though. They form in small little patches no larger than the size of a pencil eraser and are visibly lower then the finish around it and it's kinda bothering me. Is this normal or a problem I need to fix ASAP. Also, oily spots appear on the side of the receiver that is facing down when stored. I just wipe them off but they always come back. Sorry if this isn't a good enough discription, but it's starting to bother me. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#2]

If you're seeing oil spots on the receiver, I'd suspect the 'problems' would be corrected by a good CLP wipedown...

Take BreakFree CLP and a black t-shirt and give your new Bushmaster a complete wipedown; stock, handguards, receiver halves, barrel, etc... Let it set an hour or so and do it again, don't be afraid to use some CLP... Let it set another hour or so then take a black t-shirt lightly coated with CLP and buff the AR out.  I think you'll find your finish problems will be taken care of...

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me get my camera charged and I'll get some pics up. And I've tried CLP but to no avail, maybe I just need to let it sit longer. Thanks for the ideas so far.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]

To the left of the magazine release and on the magazine slot. The spots do not wipe off, they are little shallow indentations. Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking possibly casting imperfections.. but more likely it's a bad anodizing job.. I sent out quite a few aluminum items to be stripped and re-anodized and have had a few hacks return me some horribly pitted items.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Would you reccomend I send it back to Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I built my AR's.. so I have no warranties to speak of.. but if I'd dropped coin on a factory gun, or received parts in that condition, yeah, I'd send it back..   It's a flaw that will cause the metal to etch away...  You wouldn't want a receiver that looks like swiss cheese in a few years, would you?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You wouldn't want a receiver that looks like swiss cheese in a few years, would you?

Are you living in a van down by the sea or something to the point that your receiver is going to waste away like swiss cheese?

These rifles are designed and built to be put through hell and pushed to their limits.

You definetly need to send it back!! or you won' be able to shoot your .1 MOA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Would you reccomend I send it back to Bushmaster?

I wouldn't mess around with it, but if you want, they will probably fix it for you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are you living in a van down by the sea or something to the point that your receiver is going to waste away like swiss cheese?

These rifles are designed and built to be put through hell and pushed to their limits.

Actually, I do spend 50% of my time along the coast, and have seen first hand what piss-poor anodizing can do to aluminum in VERY short amount of time.

These rifles were designed to go thru hell alright. But they kinda planned on a little protection before sending them thru hell.

Send it back.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top