Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 2:47:45 PM EDT
It is easy to tell if the barrel is clean, however the bolt, bolt carrier, and the can pin.  I'm only 19 and I am a kind of a noob when it comes to cleaning.  The bolt has black carbon build-up on it and I can't tell if it is clean or not.  Does anyone a picture of a clean bolt or is there a way to tell it is clean enough?  I always brush the bolt with the tooth brush tool for like 30 mintes but I am always unsure if it is clean.  

Thanks,
Alex
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are scrubbing and nothgin comes off, its as clean as its going to get. Some rings on the bolt face are normal. A visible build up always means dirty. If youre really anal, scrub it until little or no carbon comes off when you touch it, then lubricate and reassemble.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have to ask this ? I think its clean.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
When you think it is clean, make sure you have a light coat of CLP on it, and then check it again in 24 hours, If it was dirty the CLP will have pulled it out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Lube is more important than being spotless...
Lube will help minimize wear and keep away rust.
Don't worry about scraping carbon unless you have to abuse weapons for uncle sugar...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Carbon is self limiting, it will break off when too thick.

People do more damage trying to scrape it off.

When I learned this, I gave up scraping.  That was 10's of thousands of rounds ago, and my guns run 100%.

Give it a wipe, call it good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I'm suprised at the replies I have so quickly.  I take it this is a pretty good forum?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it's a "pretty good forum." And welcome, by the way. Stick around and you'll learn a lot more.

I'm about your age, and learned most of what I know regarding the AR platform from these forums, as well as precision rigs from the precision forum. It's quite handy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
the more i shoot, the less i clean.  

it is not detrimental that your rifle is spotless..unless maybe you're in the military and have inspections.

i wipe stuff off, and go through it with a toothpick to get at the nooks and crannies.  
you could always spray the bolt group with gunscrubber and then lube it.  IMO, that should be satisfactory for cleaning.  just make sure you oil/lube it afterwards so it doesn't rust.

i used to be pretty anal about cleaning, now i clean about once every 500rds.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I long ago gave up on trying to make my AR spotless.  I am much happier these days.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Hand it to your Drill Sergeant, HE will tell you if it's clean!  hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#11]
i just use an old chamber brush or a brass .35cal brush or bigger and rub it on my lugs on my bolt... the other area's on my bolt that get crappy... try to do my lugs in my chamber as good as i can with a quetip...

i lube my gun just enough but not too much... haven't had a jam ever..
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
When I served in the USMC, the armory would not accept the rifle as "CLEAN" unless they could poke a white swab into every crevace and it came up white. They did'nt care if you wore the finish off the damn thing, ...as long as it was carbon free.
I don't put my personal AR15's through that hell, a little carbon left in the action does'nt hurt anything. I do make sure that it's not dry before a session at the range though.  

Mike  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Lick it.  If you don't taste anything funny, it's clean.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Carbon is self limiting, it will break off when too thick.

People do more damage trying to scrape it off.

When I learned this, I gave up scraping.  That was 10's of thousands of rounds ago, and my guns run 100%.

Give it a wipe, call it good.

Damn, that really makes me feel good!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

LOL!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:34:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You've got to lick it... Before you stick it...

I can't remember what movie that came from, but the song stuck with me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]
First, pull on a new pair of white cotton gloves....
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top