Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 2:25:54 PM EDT
I recently had a failure to extract/eject on my Bushmaster which is just about 100% reliable.  This gun has about 5500 rounds through it.  When is the spring or extractor normally changed?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
When it fails, as you just found out.

There is no set interval, just change it when it goes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^^^

what he said
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Extractor springs are cheap!!!!

I get about 1,500-2,000 rounds from one and they go in the trash with the "Smurf".

At that point they owe me nothing.

Stupid thing is that the little boogers can cause all sorts of hate and discontent when they fail early in their life span and make a guy suspect other supporting systems just cuz ya changed the things and "it can't be the extractor spring, I just changed it out!".

Little as they may be, they are sneeaaky!!!!
Suspect them first.

S-28
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
As everyone else has said, they can go whenever they want. The one thing I've found that really helps extend the life is Armforte's Extractor D-Fender. The little dodad goes over and around the spring and all the rifles I've had them on at work , provided my people don't lose them, haven't had a problem yet! Most are approaching 4,000 rounds w/o a problem. I've had two extractors break off but no failures due to the spring.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend upgrading to the Wolff heavy duty extractor spring.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, the BM spare parts kit I bought years ago had 2 springs and the little plastic cylinder that goes inside.  Must be there for a reason, I will change them out.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top