Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2004 9:01:39 PM EDT
I'm interested in learning new battle tested ways to keep your rifle operational under desert combat conditions.

The TM tells you what to do to keep a rifle clean, but we all know that Joe has always found a better way to accomplish the task easier and faster.

For example:

1: Which lube, if any, do you use?
2: Solvents used? not used?
3: Commercial cleaning kits used, bore snakes, etc....
4: Used Muzzle caps?
5: Mag Issues...

Thanks to any input...  

Redleg9
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
In the desert, the only thing that I would recommend for lubrication is Militec.  It's the best desert environment lube.  Doesn't do much else well but it works the best in the desert as a lubrication only.  Definately use a muzzle cap.  Keeps the barrel clean and of course that helps keep the bolt and chamber clean.  It'll just shoot off if you're in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
... I once owned an FNC folder [/kicks self in ass for selling].

... I completely degreased the entire rifle with trichloroethylene and lubricated all moving mechanisms with dry molybdenum powder lubricant.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
MILITEC 1 for the desert.  I followed the manufacturer's prep and use guidlines (found online) and I my Colt M4 is happy in Las Vegas.    
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the "miracle lubes" out there really don't do much more than CLP when it comes to use in the Desert, I tried all of them during OIF I.  The secret is not use CLP in the military standard way of putting it on with a sprayer or brush, but to only use about a Q-tip's worth on the moving parts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Most of the "miracle lubes" out there really don't do much more than CLP when it comes to use in the Desert, I tried all of them during OIF I.  The secret is not use CLP in the military standard way of putting it on with a sprayer or brush, but to only use about a Q-tip's worth on the moving parts.

This is exactly what my brother inlaw said who is in the 101st ABD.Said they used graphite at first in the Stan and shortly had to go to LSAT after corrosion became an issue with the graphite.He used the LSAT in OIF,apply the LSAT and wipe dry to the touch leaving just a slight amount of oil on the surfaces.Said other than LSAT all they could get was Royco.Wanted some Break Free but could not get it.
Said the key is to have just enough oil on the parts to function properly.Too much and you have mud.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#7]
rubbers to keep most of the sand out of your barrel

MadMan
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah, GIs figure "a little's good, a lot will be better!"  So they pull the bolt back half-way and squirt a couple of spoonfuls worth of CLP in there...

Keep your rifle almost completely dry, except for a very light coat on the bolt and cam pin, and it'll work fine in the desert.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Eh.. sounds bad, but you don't actually need to lube your rifle.

Keep it bone dry, and it'll work well in a gritty environment. *LOTS* less buildup on the gas piston face, too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Where can you get muzzle caps to keep stuff from getting into the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where can you get muzzle caps to keep stuff from getting into the barrel?

... I have a friend in AZ that can get you several for free
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Not_A_Llama is 100% correct... dry... bone dry...

I have my rifle dry...with a slight...and I mean slight application of Break Free
on the underside of the bolt carrier...the side of the bolt carrier...

I punch the tube (I'm former Arty, so bare with me...) wet, then punch it dry until the patches are clean.

Ready to go then.

Break Free and CLP, if I remember right are one and the same. It has always worked well for me.
There are other cleaners out there... but..Break Free for me has been the best.

Y-
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Red,

Slight lube, and when I say light, I mean it is cleaned, lubed, then rubbed lightly off and there is barely a sheen left on the metal.  

Let me know what is going on with your M16s.  I'm off to do some stuff with the M-8 (XM8) today, but I should be back off vacation in another week, and will be back in WA then.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#15]
For those of us not in AZ or otherwise able to get muzzle caps free, www.model1sales.com has them for half a buck each.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey all. As far as muzzle caps go, it is up to you as long as you cover the barrel . However what we used was electricians tape (back then it came in any color you liked as long as it was black ). It is best if you can find it in roles an inch wide or better. That way when covering the FH , it is covered by one solid piece of tape with no seem. Then wrap a piece around the first piece and there you go , instant muzzle cap. You can also do quite a few of them with one roll . Less stuff to worry about replacing. Hope this helps. Coondog
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top