Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2004 6:21:44 PM EDT
What does everyone think about scraping carbon off the bolt and from inside the bolt carrier (that ring where the bolt carrier meets the bolt).

In my Guard unit, the armorer won't take a rifle back unless it's had all the carbon completely scraped off. People use all manner of pokey/scrapey things to accomplish this.

I believe I've heard it mentioned that the carbon build up is actually "self limiting" in these areas and it won't affect function.  What should I do with my AR? I know I'll continue to scrape my M16 for the guard, but I wanna do it the right way rather than the army way for my own property.

Also, anyone have any tips for getting that ring of crud out that surrounds the outside of the chamber?
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Spooky,

The Carbon might be self limiting, but it has to go somewhere when it lets loose.
When and where is the question on this.
I have my feelings about cheating that Bastard Murphy, as do others.
I scrape my personal M4, and ensure the area is clean on every rifle in my Armory(Not Military or L.E., but on the private side under Govt. Oversight) just so that Murphy never shows up in that regard concerning me and Mine.

Though the unit Armorer might seem to be a "Clean Nazi", he has his own directives and proceedures he must follow.

Seeing as how it's "His" Armory, and hence "His" rifle and not yours personally, you're stuck with adapting to his requirements.

Brownells and Sinclair both sell Bolt Carrier scrapers that are safe to use and effective.

I use the Brownells tool, and a Dental pick and it works rather well without damaging the components.
Just takes a bit of time.

As to scraping the bolt flange.
Unlike others, I see no reason NOT to!
Use CLP and a worn out bore brush, and a dental Pick.
Get that crap off of there.
I have seen many times where the carbon on the bolt flange has progressed to the gas rings and locked them up causing ring failures and failures to seat properly on lock up for some reason.

Can't explain why, but the build up of mung is the one constant in several recorded failures.

Can't tell you at what point it starts, but I can say that it is at a level of over 1,000 rounds.

Hope this helps!
S-28

Link Posted: 4/22/2004 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I let my entire bolt and carrier sit disassembled in a container of Ed's Red while I clean the lower and upper receivers. This gives the Ed's Red time to loosen up the carbon. I then took a section of broken aluminum cleaning rod, flattening one end. Next I used a file to contour the flat end to the shape of the bolt. With this homemade scraper I can reach inside the bolt carrier and scrape away the loosend up carbon and clean the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 3:28:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Per Armalite's recommendation,

I quit scraping carbon over 10,000 rounds ago.

I sold my scraper even.

Guess what?   My guns run 100%.  The carbon only builds up to a certain point.

Guess what also?  I'm  not mucking up the finish on my bolt with a scraper anymore.

All I do is a CLP wipe.  That's it.

As far as "mung" causing failures at 1,000 rounds, NO.  Not with a quality weapon, properly maintained.  I've shot more rounds than that in an afternoon, and did I mention my guns run 100%?

Everyone bitches how hard AR's are to clean.  They aren't.  You  folks MAKE them hard to clean by being anal about scraping things that don't need to be scraped.
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Everyone bitches how hard AR's are to clean.  They aren't.  You  folks MAKE them hard to clean by being anal about scraping things that don't need to be scraped.

No bitching here, never have.........just answering with a suggestion.

As far as being anal, I learned how to maintain the M16/AR15 family of weapons in the Army 20 years ago. That training has yet to let me down and I continue to use that knowledge today.

I'll continue to scrape with my soft aluminum scraper........I'm not concerned with "mucking up the finish" on my bolt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a free sample of gun care products called Slip 2000. Sorry I don't know if that's the name of the company that produces it or not. I'm sure a google search on Slip 2000 will get you to the correct place.

Anyway they have a carbon cleaning product that works very well. It comes in a tall glass jar that will hold a bolt completely and will hold the carrier end with the carbon problem. After a 20 - 30 minute soak the carbon rinses right off. It's non toxic and doesn't smell like death warmed over as do some solvent products. I'm gonna buy some more of it after the sample quits working.

Shabo
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
While following ArmaLite's suggestion might be ok for us "civies"
Nothing is worse that a Armorer's scorn.

My Armorer was a pain in the ass when it was turn in time. Even the Captain got involved.

Armorer gets the lower to inspect and the Capt had the upper. Little lights and dental picks everywhere.

If they do not pass, you get push-ups and more cleaning time.

If I was still in, I would buy that bolt carrier tool and use it with the CLP.

good luck!
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, I bought two massive jugs of slip 2000, and all my bolts/slides, anything that will fit gets a dunking for about 30 minutes.  Take it out, rinse with HOT water and take a nice soft toothbrush to help move the process along, bake parts in oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes, CLP EVERYTHING, and wipe it down.

Gets everything spotless, and is very easy.  

Scott
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top