Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2003 8:58:32 PM EDT
Anybody use this stuff?  I can't even remember how I got turned on to it for sure.  I think it was some target shooters (secret "snake oil" secret)?

It's interesting stuff.  It seems to penetrate like crazy, but not really leave much of a film.  In desert climate (where I live) rust is a non-issue, but oil is a dust magnet, and this is a very dusty environment.

I'd been using it pretty much exclusively on the barrel, after doing the copper removal part.  However, I've found that since, pretty much following Bushmaster's break in guidelines, it just keeps shooting better and cleaning faster.

I don't know if the Kroll has had anything to do with that or not really?  I was just curious as to whether any of you guys had any insight.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I use it to clean suppressors. Soak them in it. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know?  I'll go look.

O.K.  Kroil.  The nice thing is with these eyes, as long as I don't walk up TO the target, they're all in the black!

Yeah, that's the stuff though.  

I mean, I realize that the more you shoot in a barrel the smoother it gets and eventually takes less and less time to clean.  If you did it right.  I'm just surprised at the results because I don't have all that many rounds down the barrel on this gun.  Maybe, . . . 500-800?

I'm just curious as to why I got such good results?  Not that I'm paranoid, but why is it that everything is working and nothing has gone wrong yet?  I hate that feeling.

That, and I've gotten complacent with respect to weapons maintenance, perhaps as a reslut of carrying a Glock for too long.  Which you can basically clean by running it through the dish washer (kidding).   But AR's, like a fine 1911 for that matter, are more sensitive and demanding.  I think mine are, anyway.

Now we all know why they make you identify what the traffic sign says by its shape on the old DMV Driver's License Test.  "Kroil."  Hum?  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a 50/50 mixture of Shooters Choice and Kroil it seems to work very good for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I use it to clean 2 1911's that are very tight I prefer to keep then that way and Kroil creeps in there and lifts and floats the crud away.

I also use it with JB Boreshine to polish feedramps.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Good info.  Thanks guys.  

Yeah.  Thanks A LOT W-W.  You HAD to bring up the 1911 issue.  I'm so close to ordering a new Springfield I can't STAND IT!

Come to think of it?  It seems pretty stupid to have all that (Kr)oil and no 1911 to use it on?  

Where the hell is my debit card?  I know just the one I want too.  What luck!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]
In my experience Kroil works well in removing carbon and powder fouling.  I've used it mixed with SC for cleaning my bolt rifle which is fed a steady diet of moly coated bullets.  That and an occasional scrubbing with some IOSSO or JB Bore Paste and it is clean.  

I'm not so sure it would be good as a lubricant or a preservative, I'm thinking there are better products out there for that.  But it does creep under carbon and help lift it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't use it as a lubricant.  It STINKS!  I use it to clean suppressors too, btw.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used Kroil every day at work for over 10 years and have never thought to use it on guns.  

Thank you.  I will have to try it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to amplify, because I think you guys are right, I use it after the copper solvent in the cleaning process.

In fact, actually the guy who turned me on to the the Kroil liked "M-12 Kel lube" as the lube and protect product.  I'm not really sure I like IT (because it seems to get thick in cold weather), but that's another story.

It's really so dry here I only oil the most crutial high friction places.  Literally, three drops will do a handgun.  I'm from back east, so I can't NOT do this but I run an oily patch down the barrel when I'm done.  But there's only like a small drop of oil on it.  The bore comes out essentiall dry, which is as I think it should be here.

I really didn't know what the hell it was but it sounds like you guys do.  And I'm using it in the right application (part of cleaning).  But ya don't know if ya don't ask?  Thanks for explaining that.      
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top