Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 1:37:06 PM EDT
I have used FP-10 for years as a rust preventative and lubricant on several different types of firearms.  I generally use a small amount.  I have just acquired my first AR.  I lubed it according to the USMC Operator's Manual specs, using FP-10.  It is pretty oily inside, which I do not mind.  But, I am wondering...  Does Breakfree dry and leave just the teflon, or does it stay oily like FP-10.  Seems like a dry film would attract and hold less grit.  I will use FP-10 anyway as I all ready have it.  But is this any reason to switch?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
BF does dry up eventually leaving a film.  FP10 is good as well and alot of folks here swear by it.  Personally......for an AR either will do your job just fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#2]
FP-10 is a slightly thicker oil and has no solvents.So it does leave a thicker film of oil on the surface and does not evaporate or run off nearly as fast as the Break Free.
I find that exceptional especially for storage.
So thats why you have a longer lasting, wet surface with the FP-10.
In my opinion FP-10 is a much much better lubricant in every way.
If your wanting a drier surface just wipe off the excess FP-10 after lubricating leaving a thin film of oil just as you would the Break Free.
I use an application brush to apply FP-10 to my firearms.I put a few drops of FP-10 on the brush tip and spread it around.That leaves just the right amount/thin film on the parts.Really makes the outside of an AR look good too.
The new Break Free has a higher content of oil so it will also stick around a little longer than it has in the past,but it still evaporates rather fast.
Like Horik said either will work just fine.
But in my opinion FP-10 is the best clp to use on any weapon.
FP-10 also will not attract dust unless you leave a very heavy film of the oil on the surface.The same goes for Break Free.
Just wipe off the excess FP-10 leaving a thin film and your good to go.
I found that out in my last Colorado hunting trip.
Raymond

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Blankwaffe98, FP-10 doesn't have any solvents? Breakfree must not either then, right? Both FP-10 and BF are CLP's, so they both clean. IMO, FP-10 cleans better than BF. Or you could just ask George, the maker of FP-10. He is a member of ARF.com. Man I love this site! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Hickboy,
I have asked George and he says no solvents in FP-10.He uses a base "oil" that works like a solvent but that is not one.Check the MSDS and you will see no solvents listed also.
Check here,he mentions it.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=174832
Hickboy if you want a ton of information and alot of reading go to:
http://www.1911.com
Do a search on FP-10 and start reading.
Break Free does use solvents.
Later.
Raymond
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Hickboy,
Here is one George did today about FP-10.
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65669&perpage=25&pagenumber=2
Raymond
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Blankwaffe98!!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top