Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 8:06:17 PM EDT
Yea, i know the stuff is pretty nasty. Basically carb cleaner, but it really does a job on shit i never knew was even there. I've used it on most of my guns but never my AR. It doesnt seem to hurt the stocks on my SVI but it does a number on those cheap things they call stocks on a Berreta Tomcat. What about if I manage to accidentally spray some on an AR rear stock? Pistol grip? Forearm? Dont know if they are the same type of plastic so. Anyway, thanks for all your help!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the Breakfree Gun Scrubber; it has a nice citrus smell.

So far, no damage to the buttstock, but I try VERY hard not to spray any on it.

I take my handguards off before cleaning, better safe than sorry.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
GunScrubber does do a great job, just remember it strips all surfaces completely, be sure you reapply CLP... GunScrubber does love to melt the cheapie plastic, like grips on Ruger MKII's...

I've managed to spray AR stocks and handguards, no ill effects save for a chalky appearance when dry.  Wipedown the area with CLP and everything is back to normal.  I've never gotten GunScrubber on the standard grip so I can't tell you what effects it will have but Hogue grips don't even notice...

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw a Thompson Center Encore lose its camo forearm from the stuff. Almost like heating it with a torch and melting away. I guess it depends on the compound that makes up stock.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I asked Bushmaster this same question, thay said that it will not hert any of the plastic on my rifle. But I still be carefull not to get it on any plastic.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top