Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2003 1:48:08 PM EDT
Just started using a "Bore Snake" on my ARs.  It works like a dream!  I haven't put any solvent or CLP on it because it seems to work well dry in my chrome-lined "Bushmaster" barrels.  How often should I wash it and what do you recommend for cleaning it?TIA
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I confess I’m not a big fan of the thing.  Admittedly, we also have knowledgeable members here who swear by it.

I understand some folks will put it in an old sock and toss it into the washing machine.  I’ve never done this, so I’m just relaying the information, not making a recommendation!!

I’d think you’d want to use some CLP to help loosen up any carbon in the bore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I wash all my bore snakes in the dish washer. Just thread them around the top shelf over the cup holders. Works great.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#3]
i just got me one last night.. thing rules
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use them and wash them in a mesh bag for "delicates" in the washing machine. Then I run a short cycle through again to make sure it's rinsed out well (maybe unnecessary). I would not put it in the dishwasher due to the borenskake's possible exposure to lead and dangerous chemicals.

I think you should still use some CLP with it, just my opinion though.
View Quote

Ditto all of the above--especially about not putting it in the dishwasher--after all, you wouldn't eat CLP, solvents, copper, etc. willingly, would ya?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
what are you thinking when you use your gun stuffs in dish washer and bake your gun parts in oven.  jesus christ, you guys sound like a bunch of west virginian.  :>

i use bore snake, but i think its is no where as good as a traditional rod, patches, and bore brush.  i find it harder to do use also.  i tape my cleaning rod with duct tape to prevent it from scatching the bore; therefore, i can use the rod from either the chamber or crown ends without fear.  the duct tape do get sticky with the mobil 1 synthetic oil i use for cleaning and lubing though.

i don't own a ar15.  i had a bushy a3 for 9 days and it malfunction on me.  i returned it for money back.  it wasn't cool at all.  i think the cheap british brand magazine is to blame.  i miss that gun like crazy.  it is the best looking assault rifle out there.  h&k can kiss my asses.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I just throw mine into the washer, no need for socks...
However I did accidentally toss it into the dryer a couple times as well :(
Does anyone know if that could have perhaps hurt my precious bore snakes? ie. shrink them in diameter???
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
199 is right. Put 'em in an old sock and wash in the washing machine. And yes, put some CLP on it when running it down your barrel.

I use 2 Boresnakes for each cleaning: one is for the first 5 passes (dirty), the other for the next 5 passes (not as dirty). A little anal perhaps, but it works like a charm.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope to pick up my first bore snake this weekend.  Any thoughts on the idea of bbl wear due to over cleaning?

Seems that as long as you are not  using something harder than or faster than a fired 5.56 fmj 193, over cleaning should not be a problem.--??
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...  Any thoughts on the idea of bbl wear due to over cleaning? ...
View Quote

In my admittedly jaundiced opinion, no one using a boresnake can be accused of “overcleaning”.  [:D]

About the only problem I can imagine with a boresnake might be abrasive primer material becoming embedded in the cord and causing wear around the muzzle as it’s pulled through the bore.  Washing the boresnake occasionally should minimize this.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, thats what I thought.
 A very good "target shooter" friend of mine said; with a bore snake, brass brush, patches and CLP, its impossible to wear bbl, compared to a FMJ at 3270 fps and 20,-50,000psi fired round.

Just seems to make since to me and this guy takes very good care of all his eq.

I'm open to any other thoughts, and hope I'm not off topic here??
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the Bore Snake in both shotguns and my Ar. (different size of course) I put a few drops of the Slip 2000 CLP on befor pulling it through and how shinny the barrel stays. The Slip keeps the carbon soft and it washes out real easy in the washing machine. When washing mine I put it into my wifes special nylon bag she uses (or used to use. She got me my own bag to use for this kind of stuff)  Works GREAT.

crisco
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Cleaning wise I have a small pump spray bottle that I keep filled with Rubbing Alcohol. When it is time to clean with the Bore snake, I spray the brush that is made in the snake and go to pulling it through, usually 3-5 times depending on how much I shot it.

The Rubbing Alcohol will do super cleaning on the snake, Then if you put a little oil in the barrel to keep from rusting, you can take the oil on your last pass through with the bore snake and lube hte barrel. Put the lub on the tail in of the Snake.

I clean my snake by hand in the sink and use the wife's dish washing soap " Dawn" or whatever, it does real good then rinse out, then you can hang it up to dry or whatever, I just throw mine back in the cleaning box..

I have been using the snakes for 3 years now, I have one for  .17 Cal,.22 Cal, and .30 Cal.

Troy
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top