Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 5:03:09 PM EDT
Hello Everyone,

I know this is a dumb question but how do you all take care of your stocks.  Personally, my rifles are my babies and I like keeping them in a like new condition.

My new bushmaster has a stock that seems to attract oil.  gun oil, skin oil, any oil.  I was curious if any of you have a technique you use to keep the stock looking new?

Just curious!

Thanks so much!

Scott

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a black shirt, put some CLP on it, and rub down the stock. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
"Stock Maintenance"?

I occasionally wipe the dust off of it. With whatever is handy. It's an AR-15.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
put plastic saran wrap over it, just like grandma use to on the sofa! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
haha thanks for the feedback.

I'm gonna try the clp.  I would rather have the stock uniform than randomly oil stained.

Thanks again!

Then again maybe some saran wrap????
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Use CLP - It's like Armor-All for firearms.  

I have used CLP on my car's rubber trim - No joke !!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
A new AR stock needs to be "seasoned".  That is, the buttstock will appear gray in color.  Like Hickboy said, take an old rag, then generously apply a bunch of CLP directly to the stock.  Let it soak in the pores for about 5 minutes, then dry it off with a clean rag.  Your buttstock will now be black, matching the handguards.  Unless you spill alcohol, or any other type of degreaser on it, it will remain black for the life of the weapon.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hello Everyone,

I know this is a dumb question but how do you all take care of your stocks.  Personally, my rifles are my babies and I like keeping them in a like new condition.

My new bushmaster has a stock that seems to attract oil.  gun oil, skin oil, any oil.  I was curious if any of you have a technique you use to keep the stock looking new?

Just curious!

Thanks so much!

Scott

View Quote

-------

Dry black rag.

Cut up black t-shirts work great for this.

Beware getting into the perfection, newness neurosis. If you don't learn to accept a little bit of wear and tear etc..., you will find yourself having a neurotic episode everytime you get a little normal wear and tear.

Fine for a museum piece but not realistic for a military type rifle that gets used.

This rifle can take an amazing amount of abuse and neglect. In fact the military still uses such rifles 20-30 or more years old that have seen many more rough hands and trips into the dirt than yours will ever see.

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys rock!

Thanks for all the feedback.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh Yeah!!!  It looks great now.  That's a good tip for a new guy.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was in the Army, we used black Kiwi boot polish on the stock before inspections. Just eyewash, but it looked good.[(:)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen enough dire stuff about how hazardous CLP is that i would not think about putting it on something that i put my face on like a stock.

ArmorAll might be a better alternative since it is silicon based AFAIK.

FWIW i don't do anything to maintain the apperance of my stock and my uppers and lowers are not color coordinated.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
WD-40 works too.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top