Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2003 8:40:30 AM EDT
On my Bushmaster, the rear of the bolt (the narrow part where the firing pin slides in) is caked with some sort of black gunk.  I could not get it off no matter what i did.  It doesn't seem to contact anything, so it probably isn't a big deal, but I would like to get it clean nonetheless.  Does any one have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#1]
how about a nylon bristle brush?
brass
bronze?
steel?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a 3M "Scotch Brite" pad but I'm sure any  generic versions would work. Punch a small hole in the pad. Apply CLP or whatever solution you like. Insert the small end of the bolt through the hole and while squeezing the pad around the tail of the bolt, rotate the bolt with your other hand. This should clean the tail and area up to the gas rings in less than a minute.

DanS
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
double post
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On my Bushmaster, the rear of the bolt (the narrow part where the firing pin slides in) is caked with some sort of black gunk.  I could not get it off no matter what i did.  It doesn't seem to contact anything, so it probably isn't a big deal, but I would like to get it clean nonetheless.  Does any one have any suggestions?
View Quote

---------

This is typical carbon. You have two choices;

Learn to scrape it off.

Or invest in a good lubricant(not CLP) and keep this area well lubricated with a light coat. You will find carbon has a much harder time sticking to such surfaces when lubricated properly. In such a case it is possible to adequately clean this area off with a toothbrush or as one poster recommended a scotch brite pad.

In the Marines we found an old bore brush to be effective in cleaning this area. However, it is my understanding that a certain amount of carbon fouling in this area is normal and will not inhibit the operation of the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
i took mine off with a dremel with the wire brush bit
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the mouth of an empty .30-caliber brass case.  When it gets dull, I’ll square the case mouth with a file to restore the sharp edge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
what about down inside the bolt?(the chamber the extractor and lug asembly slides into)
on my rifle tonight i could not find a way to get down in there efectivly and clean the carbon

opps never mind i found it
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=167888&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
To clean the tail of the bolt: fine steel wool will whisk it right off.

To clean the locking lug area of the barrel; Sinclair makes a very slick tool.

Good luck.

SD
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Been over looking this area of the bolt. I'm pretty good about keeping my rifles clean but that area of the bolt caught me off guard now I'm paying for it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In ROTC when we are cleaning the nasty nasty NASTY reserve units weapons we borrow to fire (ugh) we typically use the actual firing pin if we have nothing to really scrap it with.

The best scraper is a dental tool. Pick on up... it gets any caked carbon off in all the difficult places of the bolt and the carrier(inside, outside) and can really get the crap out of the "star chamber"

Good luck :)
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]
If I have to scrape I use a razor blade.

I like to submerge all the bolt parts in an old bottle of Hoppe’s for a week or so. Makes cleaning much easier; better living through chemicals.

-J
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top