Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 9:44:52 AM EDT
So I have read several people saying to push the brush/patch thru (from bore with guide of course) but to remove it at the muzzle side... not to drag the dirt back thru.  So If I am going to remove the patch wont I be dragging a bare jag thru - I wouldnt think this a good idea. And with the brush - would I unscrew the brush from the rod. This has two issues - 1) You would need to fully push the brush thru to remove it... which people say is a no-no  - 2)you would be dragging the bear rod back... which is probably not too bad with my 30" dewey with internal threads but with those with longer rods or adapters wouldnt these cause damage over time?

My method is to leave the brush on and push it thru but not out... and drag it back. Let the patch pick up the crud.  I can perfectly understand the reason to remove the patch at the muzzle (and with care the jag can stay in the barrel) - so if the jag doesnt hurt anything comming back thru this seems like a good method.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
You should push the brush all the way through and out - never reverse it in the bore.

Popular opinion says the copper or brass brush is not going to hurt the crown on the way back in, since copper is so much softer than steel.  Myself, I pull the brush back through.

Afterward, I do remove my bore guide and thoroughly clean the chamber (the crud pulled back in ends up there) then do my best to leave it as dry as possible.

Without a bore guide, the crud would end up in your gun.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
yoyo

I shoot with a lot of benchrest shooters and when they clean thier guns they push the brush all the way out and back through but with patches they use a jag tip and let the patch fall off when it comes out the end of the barrel

my 2 cents
vinniedablade
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Otis cleaning kit - just pull the cable all the way out.

Start over again.

Never an issue.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top