Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 6:29:03 PM EDT
Trying to get ready for the arrival, what kits, supplies, gear will I need or is reccomended?  Places to buy would be greatly appreaciated to.
Rifle is Rock River.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Well,Do you have all the mags you need?

What about ammo,to brake in a new barrle you will want to fire off about 200 or 300 rounds.

You will need Brake Free,and any AR books you can find.
You will need to be able to brake it down and clean it.

Hell just come over and I'll go over it with you

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammo, ammo and did I mention... Ammo.

Seriously, you need a decent quality cleaning kit and a Marine Corp (or equivalent) service manual. Read the posts here on this site about cleaning. I know I have been shooting an AR for quite awhile and have an army buddy that showed me how to clean it. I have been removing all the carbon I could find, now I see that is a mistake. You can learn a lot reading the previous posts here.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for the lack of info, mags and ammo are on the way too.  I guess I really meant as far as cleaning and maintaining.
Thanks for your willingness to help!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
1. CLP

2. Cleaning kit (I prefer coated dewey rod)

3. USGI (ONLY!!!) Mags

4. Ammo.

Repeat.

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Yelf

Congrats on the new purchase . Otis makes a real nice cleaning kit just for the AR-15 .
www.otisgun.com

I've seen the kits sold here in the EE  . You can also check midway for them.

www.midwayusa.com

I don't know how familiar you are with AR's.
If your not I would suggest you pick AGI's video called Armorers Course on the AR-15 . It's packed full of good information on breaking it down and cleaning it completely. 2 hours worth good stuff .IMO

www.americangunsmith.com

Midway also has that and it's cheaper than AGI's price. I've seen it also in the EE .

Good luck and let us know how the new gun is. Range Report expected .

SaFe ShOoTiNg

Jerry  
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
An armorer's course is way more technical than you'd need for cleaning.  The Army manual for the M16 is available from several places on the web (including here, and it's a good place to start.  (It might even come with the gun.)

Basic tools you'll need:
Some kind of cleaning rod.  I like the Otis pull-through system.  Next best is a one-piece rod.  Avoid the multi-segment ones.
Bore brush.
Jag or tip for patches.
A "toothbrush" of some sort.  I prefer the double-ended "Army" one you can find at gun shows, but one from Wal-Mart or even a used real one is OK.
Patches.
A rag.
CLP (Break-Free)

Good things to have:
A chamber brush.
A short rod with a non-swiveling handle.  I got one that looks like an eye-bolt at a gun show for $4.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Double that on the Otis gun cleaning kit that was mentioned earlier in the posts for your query.  Otis also sends you a book with their kit that tells you how to clean a rifle.  But nothing beats the Marine Corp manual on how to do it.  Just don't beat up your pins and the like. There isn't anything on the gun that requires so much force you need to ding it all up, finesse it.  Break Free is in my book: Wolf Ammo sucks and jams in my guns.  Some guys can shoot it all day but mine hate it.  Silver Bear works fine but if you really are serious about your accuracy, after you have run 3-400 rounds through your gun, you are almost stuck either paying high bucks for serious target ammo or reloading....then save the cheap stuff for murdering tin cans.  What is a good shot?  According to Jeff Cooper a good shot is a guy who can hit a tea cup at 100 yards offhand in under 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Great post - I have my first AR-15 on the way (well, I did own one 12 years ago for a short while).

I noticed you said "USGI mags ONLY" - what about Colt 30 round magazines, can I assume they are fine to use, too?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#9]
You'll need about 15 more firearms to keep it company!!![NI]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I noticed you said "USGI mags ONLY" - what about Colt 30 round magazines, can I assume they are fine to use, too?
View Quote
Colt 30s are USGI.  For more info see [url=http://magfaq.tripod.com/]Troy's magazine FAQ[/url].
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Contact Georgia Precision and get a coated one piece cleaning rod, chamber brush, and bore guide. Don't even think about running a cheapie screw together rod down a $1,000.00 weapon. I do an initial soaking of the interior of the barrel with Shooters Choice.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
#1 MAGS
#2 AMMO
#3 More MAGS
#4 More AMMO
#5 Somthing to shoot at
[:P]
Did I say Mags?[whacko]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top