Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2002 6:09:40 AM EDT
Well,  I was bored yesterday while it was raining so I decided to try a little test on the rust inhibiting properties of the products I have on hand. (EEZOX,Breakfreeclp,Militec1,Armalube)
Coated some sand paper pollished nails with the stuff seperately and stuck them upright in a sponge(so they would remain upright)including a non-coated control nail and have been spraying them with salt water every hour or so.  The test has been ongoing for 10 hours(except overnight) and no rust/corrosion yet on any other than a little black corrosion on the control nail.  I'll keep ya'll posted.....:)  This is of course not very scientific but useful and kind of fun anyway!
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
OK! DAY TWO:  Test results are as follows:

EEZOX:  Totally Shiny finish, no rust or corrosion
BreakFreeCLP:  Mostly shiny finish, no rust/corrosion
Militec1:  Slightly dulling finish, no rust/corrosion
Armalube:  Dulling finish, minute rust forming/peppered in light film of corrosion

Control Nail:  Totally dull finish, total rust/corrosion

I have been spraying with a fine saltwater mist to cover all the nails whenever I get the chance.  About ever few hours or so.  Sometime more sometimes less!.........Ongoing........
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Day Three:  Same spray method

EEZOX:  totally shiny, no rust/corrosion

BREAKFREECLP: somewhat dull, a little corrosion

Militec1:  Dull finish, rust/corrosion noticeable

Armalube:    TOTALLY COVERED IN RUST AND CORROSION   "FINISHED"

CONTROL:    TOTALLY COVERED "FINISHED"

I will continue till 3 of the 4 are covered or "finished"........Ongoing!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyond remember if EEZOX was included in the original test? I remember CLP scored excellent and Militec-1 scored very poorly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The original test I got my idea from scored CLP excellent and yes EEZOX was in the test and also scored excellent and that author gave EEZOX the highest evaluation in this but I can't remember why.  I have both products and use them both all the time on my guns.  The way I see it between the two is the EEZOX nail still looks the same as when I first started other than some minute salt crystals forming on it.  CLP just barely is dull and has salt crystals on it and some corrosion on it but mainly on the head where the water sat on the nails more readily.  I would say both are excellent too!  Because I really hammered these nails with salt water ALOT AND OFTEN.  Kinda like swimming with them in a way.....:)Militec is totally rusty today.  Iwould not use it for a protectant but it did last longer than I expected.  Armalube(which is new and got as a free sample) failed badly in my opinion.  It showed corrosion the first day almost right away to a certain extant.  Like I said this isn't scientific but I did replicate what the other guy did and got about the same results.........I may go one more day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Horik,
I did a similar test just weeks ago involving a couple of the lubes you are torturing.
I also added another couple.Rem Oil,Valvoline Blue grease,Mobil-1,and Mil-Comm TW25B.

I also have been doing a "Weather plate" that was ground shiny with the side grinder and marked off in columns and left outside in the Michigan weather(Not too many bodies of salt water around here to be fair!) for the last several weeks.

So far,only 2 have held up very well.TW25B which has yet to even darken,and CLP which started to turn pinkish a couple of days ago.

I gotta get another bottle of FP-10 and do a comparo.
I also have a sample of a couple others on hand(How did I get on their dadgum mailing list! EEEEWW!) but that will have to wait till after Deer season.

Keep at it!

Thanks!
S-28

Link Posted: 10/20/2002 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
S-28,  Thats cool!  It is day 6 in the test and the results are pretty amazing actually.  I was gonna stop when 3 of the 4 showed corrosion but I think I'll stay with it till they all do.  The reason being that the EEZOX and CLP had held up so well I thought they'd run about even but now the CLP is rusting pretty badly and definately dark.  The Armalube and Militec1 are now worthless as well as the control nail(for obvious reasons)BUT THE EEZOX SHOWS NO RUST/CORROSION AT ALL!  It looks perfectly brand new period.  I use eezox, CLP, and Militec1 personally on my weapons and will continue to do so but I am amazed at how well EEZOX performs in this sense.  It is the winner hands down.  I am still spraying them all cause I am dying to see how long it takes to corrode the EEZOX now.  CLP I would say is the obvious second then Militec1 then Armalube(which I wouldnt recommend for protection).  Hope this helps and I'll keep at it till the eezox goes south!!!!!  Good luck with your tests.  Also, your right that adding the salt is "more" than I needed to do but I figured I would truly punish the nails and also for those who live where that might be an issue.  Take care-Horik.....Ongoing.......
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Over one week now (8 days)and here are the results:

Still soaking nails at varying times(when I can)at least 3 times a day.  Have not touched them or added product.

EEZOX:  perfectly shiny/like first day
BREAKFREE CLP: dull/ corroding/rusty
MILITEC1: total breakdown(covered corrosion)
ARMALUBE: total breakdown(covered corrosion)

I have to say I am shocked at the EEZOX nail.  It looks brand new.  I have always liked it and CLP and will stay that way but this stuff is tough as can be......Ongoing........I am committed to rusting this nail..AARRGHH!
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Horik,
Thanks for taking an interest in something and posting results.  Things like this are a benefit to all.

Now educate me.  EEZOX?  Who makes it, distributes it?  Liquid, grease, or in between?

Art in KY
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
EEZOX has a web page at:  WWW.EEZOX.COM  
made in waterford,CT.

It is a liquid much like Breakfree but maybe a little thicker, Maybe!  One thing I noticed the first time I opened the bottle is that the stuff actually smells good.  Or at least not bad.....or at least not bad to me......:)It doesnt have the petroleum based smell that alot of gun products have.  Also when using it it is quite liquid but when you put it on the gun it sort of starts to dry(wax)up a bit but in a good way. The thing I like is that it does dry to the touch with a light coat but you can tell it is still lubricating/protecting the metal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
CONT.  

I clean my AR's at least every other time I shoot and have no problem using eezox for removing build up but like Breakfree and all CLP's it's not the be all end all build up remover.  I get it at OAKWOOD GUNS in Middletown, KY. near Louisville and I just happened upon it for trying something new.  You don't hear much about it but their website does have test data on the lube and protect aspects of it and they were done scientifically.  Beats all milspec standards by a wide margin.  I think the lubricating properties are excellent and the protect properties in my opinion CANNOT be beat.  I am still shocked by the little test I did.  Like I said I dont work for these guys I just lucked into finding someone who sells it.  Definately check out the website.  Take care and thanks for showing interest in my little product trial...by the way that nail is still perfectly shiny (the rest are rusty)and I pounded all the nails 8 more times with salt water today...I work at home so I can get away with wasting my time like that.........:)....Horik
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Horik,
Las I knew Eezox was a CLP.You realize of course the other properties of the stuff need to be ummm..abused?

Also,I think I have found a flaw in our methodology.

You are doing nails,I'm doing 3/16" plate.

Neither of which get shot very often.

I Was thinking about it,and realized that thanks to the job I have,and the odd habit of rarely throwing anything away,I have like 20 extractors,several bolts,a dozen cam pins,and a couple of forward assist assembly's just laying around broken awaiting a good purpose.

All have a Mil-spec finish,and failed early in my testing for mission operability.

Let the rust begin!!!!!!!!

Can't say when though.I'm up to my ears.

The other thing our tests do not involve is lubrication.
Stopping rust is COOL,but it dosn't do any good unless the stuff allows a weapon to operate better.

The TW25B I have been tinkering with has proven to be awesome in protection and lubricating.

I just took a rifle off of range cycle last night that has seen over 2,200 rounds of ammo without cleaning nor additional lubrication,and no reports from our training staff concerning malfunctions.

Took me 3 hours to scrub the bore clean.

We need to standardize to real world applications.

Just a thought.
S-28
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
S-28,

Yes EEZOX is a CLP!  I hear ya......I wish I had enough stuff laying around I woud'nt mind abusing.  And aggree with the lube testing as well.  I think lubrication and protection are the 2 most important things in a CLP for standard use where cleaning is good enough to get the job done if taken care of properly.  since eezox dries up somewhat it keeps dust and stuff at bay a bit more than most I've used as well.  I find it to be a great Lube as well as protectant but I just have no science of my own to confidently back it up other than saying this:     Never a fail to lock, fail to extract, no lube spew/spray when firing, and wear on the parts seems non existent.  They do list test specs on their website that seem pretty good though companies are not always "honest" of course.  I think the cleaning properties on it are good but I don't know about 2,200 rounds worth of carbon, etc.  I have a good idea it would take some good scrubbing for the eezox to be the cure.I am also pretty darn sure there are better products out there for that.  I would say in my experience it is about like breakfree in that respect.  I have a friends old 22 semi auto that he completly abused and basically abandoned it here when he moved.  I am going to EEZOX it and beat the hell out of it with some real world tests.  No way am I gonna do this to my AR's.....:)  Keep me posted on your testing and maybe we can group it with the products we have.  Be kinda cool to see what we come up with.  More to come....Dinner now......:)
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
17 days and I am tired of the nail test....:)........I cannot get the eezox nail to rust, or look anything but brand new at all.  I even, for the last 3 days, put the nozzel of the spray bottle nearly ON the nail and sprayed 10 times on each side and on top of the nail trying to blast off the product.  It won't budge.  Thing is you cannot really tell the eezox is on there anyway.  I don't think the nail will rust without another month or so of abuse and I am bored with that part of the test.  All the other nails are totally wasted.  I figure after this amount of abuse it is good enough.  Even the military would clean their weapons way before this with that much moister contact......Over and out!  Now on to the lube properties of these products.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quit spraying it and just let it sit.  I want to know how long it will last until it rusts.  I have been watching this thread for a while and laugh everytime you seem to get frustrated when the Eezox nail wont rust.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Problem is if you dont keep some water on it it wont rust.  Believe me everytime it's sprayed every single drop of moister falls away and it is dry within 1 minute.  Totally dry.  Frustrated...:)...cause I've never seen something wipe breakfree's ass that bad.....Glad......:)..of course.  I'll let it sit there forever but it wont do the trick.  I am sure of that.  it gets sprayed about once a day or every other now.  Has anyone else used eezox here?  he he. Take care!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top