Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2002 6:06:28 AM EDT
In the Sinclair catalog, they sell chamber plugs "to use when we want to leave our bore full of solvent in an upright position...and allow the barrel to soak overnight".  They also talk about sealing the muzzle tightly with duct tape.  Well, I don't have the chamber plugs but I did try the duct tape but Shooter's Choice ate through the adhesive and started dripping out on the floor in about 30 seconds.

My question is: does anyone do this and if so what do they use instead of duct tape?

Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I don't think this is necessary, just use ordinary cleaning methods.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
AR wise it might work for a 9mm - but it will leak around the gas tube roll pin on non-blowback guns.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have personally done it with an old Mosin nagant m44 I bought for 40$  It needed it and soaking it for 24 hrs and then scrubbing it shined it up nicely.

Keving67
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AR wise it might work for a 9mm - but it will leak around the gas tube roll pin on non-blowback guns.

Exactly right, you never want to do this with a gas operated gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I would only do that on a C&R gun, and if I had the energy that day, I might just use JB bore paste instead.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Not neccessary. Just soak a patch with Shooters choice and let it sit while you clean the rest of the weapon. By that time the solvent will have done a number on the bore......
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Uuuhhhh....

Have you read the label on Shooter's Choice?

IIRC it says to leave in your bore *no longer than* 15-30 minutes (I don't have a bottle in front of me).

Their website says 10-12 minutes!!!

Don't leave aggresive bore solvents in a bore overnight!

For something like #9, that would be fine, though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't do it period, here's why:
Guess how much liquid you'd waist in the process? Each time you clean it?
That shooters choice stuff is nasty. You'd come in the den in the morning, and wonder where your barrel went. -Steve
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's an electrochemical process from Outters. Midway carries it for $64.
www.outers-guncare.com/care/foulout.html

Like everyone else has noted, you wouldn't want to use the plug and fill method on a gas operated semi-auto unless the barrel was completely stripped of its gas system components.

The M-16A1 depot maintenance manual used to have a procedure and a cleaner recipe for cleaning copper fouling from the bore. Since it's not mentioned in the newer manuals, it's my guess that the state of the art in copper removal solutions has made the old procedure obsolete.

PS The manual recommended using an appropriately sized rubber cork to seal the chamber end. Masking tape to seal the gas port. I believe another cork was used to seal the muzzle.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top