Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2002 9:07:33 PM EDT
Just picked up (10) Sten magazines for my OA A2 Shorty in 9mm.

Love the gun.  But the mags are filthy.  I loaded up and shot about 300 rounds and had a blast but really what to make sure that no problems occur.

But what can I do about these dirty, greasy Sten mags?

Do they break down just like other mags (Glock, Sig, HK, 1911)?  I see on the floorplates what appears to be a tab you can push in while pushing on the floorplate to pop it off.  Is that how it's done?

And what to do to clean?  Spray down with gunscrubber in a bucket and a toothbrush and scrub them?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, that little button is what you push to take them apart.  What I do, get a punch or rod that fits inside the hole.  Hold the mag in one hand (with the off arrow poining away) and w/ the other, put rod in.  Try to slide the rod forward.  At the same time, use your thumb to catch the spring/spring pad inside as you side the cover off.  Some covers may not want to budge, so you might have to tap it off.

You can also clean it by buying those bulk 1 gallon bottles of WD-40.  Put it into a bucket and soak the mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Great!

But do I need to oil or lubrictae the springs or any of the internals?

I thought we were supposed to run the mags dry?  Right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure.  But WD-40 won't hurt.  It maybe a penitrant for loose bolts, but it still leaves a film behind.

I have 10 Stens I'm using for a project and I haven't even cleaned the inside (just wiped the ouside).
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My method for mags caked in cosmoline or grease is to disassemble, spray with Simple Green, soak for a few minutes, scrub with toothbrush, dry with cotton rag, heat in oven at 200 for 10 minutes to remove all moisture, coat spring with dry lube or a very light coat or CLP, and assemble.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 2:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have access to an automotive solvent tank??
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry no access to that kind of equipment.

But I stayed up last night and carefully disassembled, degreaser, put a protectant coat of BKFRE on all, light coat of BKFRE on the metal to metal contacts of the follower to mag body, and then re-assembled.

I had some FTF with my OA PCR-9 but know it was either the bullet profile or the mag.  Mags clean now.  That cosmoline is some sticky stuff!
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]

I use kerosene to cut the cosmolene.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Boil them gently in an old stock pot with some TSP mixed in.  TSP can be found at any hardware store in the paint section.  No scrubbing, no wiping.  Just boil, dry, and lube just enough to prevent flash rusting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Gas, Unleaded 87 octain gas.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top