Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2009 4:09:09 PM EDT
I cleaned my rifle this evening after taking it to the range on Thursday. All went well but I have one of those "universal" gun cleaning kits and the plastic jag that came with it would not fit down the barrel with a patch sized for a .22. Needless to say the barrel did not get a patch thru it. What size jag do I need for the AR-15 chambered .223 ? Also will it do harm to leave a heavy coating of CLP in the chamber and barrel or should it be wiped down and a light coating applied ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
a .22 jag should work. sometimes if your patch is thick or has a wrinkle in it it will get stuck or it will be tight. make sure the patches are for a .22

in my rifle i go with a light coating of oil. too much will just be a hassle and a place for dust to collect.

look around here and you will find some good articles on lubrication.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Make it easy on yourself (and the rifle) and get dedicated cheaning equipment for an ar15 (coated rod, jag and chamber brush and guide).

Never leave a lot of oil in the barrel, always making a final pass with a dry patch.  Excessive oil in the barrel can impede bullet exit and increase pressure.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I think this is QUIB's coolest logo yet!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top