Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2023 3:01:00 AM EDT
Saw this video several years ago and never gave it much thought till I experienced the same issue recently.

https://youtu.be/pJL-IscH_jo

In my case:

Mega Forged upper
Criterion Barrel
Geissele MK4 Federal
Aero Shell Grease
40 ft lbs on the barrel nut

all this yielded the bubbles and fluid movement as described in the video.

With all that said, what is everyones thoughts on loctite 6XX as a fix for the issue?
For me, 620 would be th eloctite of choice.

Thanks in advance for the discussion.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
@Dano523

Thank you very much for the detailed response.
This is in fact a 10.5" SBR that I have no expectation of shooting matches with and am looking for reliability above all else. With that said, I am trying to do my part to get as much accuracy out of it as possible, but as you pointed out the level of work I'd be putting in would not be justified as the system wouldn't hold sub moa anyway after a mag dump.

Just for reference though, here is a video of my barrel and exactly what I am seeing to cause my concern.

https://youtu.be/pqC5fkijR3U

One other question, you mentioned that you prefer 249 for its wicking properties, I would think that you wouldn't want it going all over the place. In addition, 249 is touted as a "thread locker" where as 620 is a "retaining compound" that is designed for cylindrical assemblies. Just curious as to your further thoughts in this area.

Thank you again!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for loctite, the quick break down is blue is med strength that you can wrench it apart if needed, while Red loctite, have to break the loctite bond down via heat since it pretty much glues the parts together, before the its going to wrench free.
Green is wicking, and it goes from wrenchable, to gluing action where you have to use heat before trying to wrench instead.

Simply, when it comes to the amount of threads in play, going to need heat to pull the parts apart  anyways, so go for the strongest bond you can get to hold the two together (that heat will break the bond down in the end), and the correct fluid for the Job at hand (wicking or not).
View Quote

Dano - thanks a lot.  I was subscribed to this hoping for just this info - and on the DCM float tube, too.  I have one to put together next month. You just saved me a lot of time tracking down this info, as well as helping the OP.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As for loctite, the quick break down is blue is med strength that you can wrench it apart if needed, while Red loctite, have to break the loctite bond down via heat since it pretty much glues the parts together, before the its going to wrench free.
Green is wicking, and it goes from wrenchable, to gluing action where you have to use heat before trying to wrench instead.

Simply, when it comes to the amount of threads in play, going to need heat to pull the parts apart  anyways, so go for the strongest bond you can get to hold the two together (that heat will break the bond down in the end), and the correct fluid for the Job at hand (wicking or not).
View Quote

There's an exception in Loctite, which I exploit for gas blocks... blue 246 is medium strength but high heat. It will take 475 degrees before it burns but can be torqued free with decent leverage, unlike the red. Unless one is prone to really abusive mag dumps, it's great. Then again, any loctite will cook if you abuse it enough.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I use bearing lock for my service rifle. I have removed the barrel after doing this a couple times. If you don’t degrease it, it won’t bond. It is tight coming off but no worse than a press fit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I use 620 or 609, on the barrel extension, I don't think it matters.

I have never pulled a match barrel off a NRA/DCM/CMP upper with less than 4,000 rounds. I must be lucky.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#9]
There is absolutely no reason, IMO, to put anything other than Moly grease on the upper receiver threads. The idea of gluing that together seems like more trouble than it's worth.

We need to get these uppers apart someday, having a little 609/620 on the barrel extension to eliminate slop is one thing, covering the upper receiver threads with Loctite will glue everything together.

Several upper receiver sources require a heat gun to open them up enough to accept the barrel extension. IMO, this is ideal. We want a snug fit, zero slop. Under these conditions we won't need any Loctite to eliminate gaps.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Never going to hit that round count with a Broach cut rifle barrel, since just before that point, group are going to go from tight groups, to just spray pattern in just the span of one shooting session.

Button cut barrel on the other hand, can go up to around 8K, with a gradual degeneration is accuricy around the same 4K count, that you just have to make the call when it not grouping tight enough instead.

As for Broach cut, or button produces rifleing in a match barrel, just depends if you are trying to stay sub MOA, or happy with MOA for your shot strings instead.   Don't get me wrong since Douglas does make a good match barrel, but not going to hold its own against a Krieger match barrel.
View Quote

With the generous 10 ring it really comes down to the shooter on winning. The only difference between the quality $250-300 service rifle barrel and a $400-600 barrel is how often you change it and how easy it cleans. The barrel cost per round ends up being close to the same.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With the generous 10 ring it really comes down to the shooter on winning. The only difference between the quality $250-300 service rifle barrel and a $400-600 barrel is how often you change it and how easy it cleans. The barrel cost per round ends up being close to the same.
View Quote

Interesting comment and some slight drift (but about cleaning) - were you at Douglas Ridge for the CMP class last spring?

(I do have a point in asking the question).
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Interesting comment and some slight drift (but about cleaning) - were you at Douglas Ridge for the CMP class last spring?

(I do have a point in asking the question).
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/8E28E3DB-C057-467E-9B8B-D2150815E640_jpe-2708301.JPG
View Quote

Nope. But I know the guy in the middle and right side of that photo.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top