Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2012 10:08:56 AM EDT

Okay, so leaned my patrol rifle against the table and it took a spill onto the tile floor. My magpuls and Aimpoint disagreed on point of aim after that. Turns out my BUIS was off. I wasn't sure where the shift had occurred but I decided to buy the MI end cap to add more support for the free float incase is takes a spill again. Well after the install, this is what I see. The free float shifted off center.

It's not a lot and its more annoying than anything I guess but if I disassemble the FF will it re-center when I put it back together?
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
i would thinking pulling it off and re-installing should recenter it but i suppose you may have damged something.

probably was loose in the first place if it got knocked off the bad just tipping over
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

i would thinking pulling it off and re-installing should recenter it but i suppose you may have damged something.

probably was loose in the first place if it got knocked off the bad just tipping over

This is my thought too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Were you able to re sight it in and hold a zero?

PETE
MI

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
It's possible the end of the rail was always a little off center. When you installed the end cap and reduced the side clearances the off-center alignment became more apparent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, my rifle took another spill and it straightened out the barrel but knocked the crap out of my sights. So upon closer inspection, the entire tube rotated slightly. I'm assuming that the gas tube stopped it from going further. I twisted it back straight but now I have to figure out how to stop it from rotating in the future. My initial idea today was to move my aimpoint mount up so that it grabs the back end of the tube but I had to put the mount screw on the left side now which I am not wilde about.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, my rifle took another spill and it straightened out the barrel but knocked the crap out of my sights. So upon closer inspection, the entire tube rotated slightly. I'm assuming that the gas tube stopped it from going further. I twisted it back straight but now I have to figure out how to stop it from rotating in the future. My initial idea today was to move my aimpoint mount up so that it grabs the back end of the tube but I had to put the mount screw on the left side now which I am not wilde about.

If the gas tube stopped it, it sounds like your barrel nut is loose. I don't think a spill should twist it (the barrel nut that is). Maybe just the handguard rotated against the jamb nut instead. If the barrel nut is that loose it will twist again. I would think about removing the handguard and gas tube and tightening the barrel nut to spec.
just my thoughts
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the gas tube stopped it, it sounds like your barrel nut is loose. I don't think a spill should twist it (the barrel nut that is). Maybe just the handguard rotated against the jamb nut instead. If the barrel nut is that loose it will twist again. I would think about removing the handguard and gas tube and tightening the barrel nut to spec.
just my thoughts

Guess I need to bring it in for one of the armorers to take a look at it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top