Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2011 3:35:57 PM EDT
I have an interesting issue with one of my ARs and maybe one of you have had the issue before. I did some searching and only came up with people having loose grips screws.  
Here's my problem…

When I pull back the charging handle and load the rifle all appears to load fine with no issues. The issue comes when you try and pull the trigger. Nothing, in order to get the trigger to move you first have to move the safety selector halfway between fire and safe and you will hear a click. At this time you can then pull the trigger. I field stripped the AR and compare the faulty lower with a working one to see if anything is out of place, all looks good.

When I manually push the hammer down on the faulty lower I never here a “click” like I do with the working lower.
Once I put the safety selector between safe and fire you can see the hammer move up a little with an audible “click”.

This is the first major issue I have had in a long time and any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks

Edited for easy reading
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Things I would check.
I would make sure all the springs are installed correctly. From factory? I have shot the gun for 3 years with no issues up until yesterday.
I would make sure the disconnector moves freely in the groove of the trigger.
I would check for burrs where the disconnector engages the rear horn of the hammer.
I would make sure the sides of the trigger at the rear was not rubbing against the selector switch.
I would make sure the nose of the trigger was not rubbing against the back portion of the hammer right above the notch in the hammer where the trigger catches on.

The rest I will have to look into.
Thank you

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Things I would check.
I would make sure all the springs are installed correctly. From factory? I have shot the gun for 3 years with no issues up until yesterday.
I would make sure the disconnector moves freely in the groove of the trigger.
I would check for burrs where the disconnector engages the rear horn of the hammer.
I would make sure the sides of the trigger at the rear was not rubbing against the selector switch.
I would make sure the nose of the trigger was not rubbing against the back portion of the hammer right above the notch in the hammer where the trigger catches on.

The rest I will have to look into.
Thank you

Then look for a loose primer in the lower.
I would not waste time on the other stuff except maybe a broken spring or broken hammer/trigger pin if it was a properly functioning gun previously
Thought you were talking about a new build

Thanks... didn't know this area was for new builds
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Problem just sounded more like a new build problem. Not a new build section but I think you know that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you have crap lodged under the trigger.  Disassemble, clean, re-assemble correctly.  Check.  Ive seen it happen 2-3 times on the range.  All were blown primers under the trigger.  Ammo is shit these days.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I will have time this weekend to clean her and see what I get. I will post what I find for future searchers.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If its not a new build then you have crap in your FCG if its a new build then you have to de-bur your trigger and disconnector sears (very edges of them so they allow a clean release of the two on trigger release reset)...
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Well she’s fixed. I took the lower apart and a small piece of brass fell out.
After I reassembled the lower all works as normal.
Thank you again for everyone’s help.

Have a good weekend.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top