Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 2:06:41 PM EDT
Im trying to remove the Iron front sight on my AR to install a handguard and I cant remove the pins that hold the front sight on. I have the front sight block to help me out but they are not budging. NEED HELP!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
More oomph.

Taper pins (as a rule) should be driven out from left to right.  CHECK YOUR PINS, though.  If they're taper pins one side will be smaller in diameter than the other.  The side with the SMALLER diameter is the side you whack with your hammer.

Break out that 20 lb. sledge.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bench block is marked in and out for the pins. Im using a 2lb ball peen hammer. They wont move.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Soak the pins overnight in Kroil.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a stout punch and cut it down...........you don't need a long one for this job..........then take a dremel and dish out the end of the punch, this will keep it from slipping off the taper pin..........a 2lb hammer should get the job done...........don't tap, tap, tap,...........give it a mighty whack............
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
i use a 5lb mini sledge, a lead shot bag, and a solid WHACK and they usually come right out.  the only one thats a realy bitch is the gas tube roll pin, but thats only if you havent made/modified/bought the tiny little punch for it yet.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top